Best options for a school

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by DWisen, Jan 11, 2018.

1. DWisen

DWisen Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2018
    I need some opinions on training/schools. I can't afford to pay for school myself so I am forced to go the sign a year of your life away route.
    I live in Louisiana but willing to travel to the school's location within reason.
    Out of companies like Prime, Swift, PAM, etc. Which one would be the best overall?
    PAM is willing to house me, provide $400 for living expenses during school and has a $1400 sign on bonus. Theys claim you can make up to 55k in the first year but I hear that its difficult to maintain a steady supply of work with them.
    I am looking for a company that may offer a similar offer for schooling but is more likely to keep you with steady work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Contract Freighters - www.cfidrive.com - coast to coast dry van.
    Company-paid Tuition
    With a 12-month commitment to drive for CFI, qualified students can now receive fully paid tuition to attend driving school in Missouri. We’ll even cover your room and meals for the duration of the four-week course. Paid transportation from your home to the school in Missouri. Hair follicle drug test.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    DWisen Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    FFE (Frozen Food Express)
    KLLM - school in Mississippi (KLLM owns FFE, but two seperate companies)
    Schneider - might pay for cdl school; ask a recruiter. A good deal they have is at graduation they put you pulling dry van for about 6 months, then you can switch to tankers which is where the big money is.

DWisen Thanks this.
  5. DWisen

DWisen Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2018
    In the short run it really doesn't matter much to me what I'm doing as much as it's important to me to stay with a steady schedule after schooling. Don't get me wrong decent pay is a huge plus but I would much rather make .40 a mile on a steady schedule vs .60+ a mile but potentially going weeks without work for example.

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Roehl Transport pays $500.00 weekly while in their school and it's not a pay advance against future earnings like some companies do. Not sure they take students from Louisiana, but you can call and ask. Choice of flatbed, dry van, refrigerated. Hair follicle drug test.

DWisen Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You won't go weeks without work; companies can't afford to let those expensive trucks just sit. If they sit too long, some pencil pusher in the office is going to be fired.
    Try to run coast to coast then.
    CFI is dry van, but has long runs.
    Roehl Transport - Dry Van National Fleet probably the best.
    Refrigerated companies that run 48 states usually have consistantly long runs. There are exceptions to the rule. I did real well pulling refrigerated because I also had hazmat endorsement which means I didn't just haul refrigerated freight, but also hazmat freight such as paint or fingernail polish, etc. Some refrigerated drivers might sit waiting for a load, but with the hazmat endorsement I didn't have that problem.

8. DWisen

DWisen Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2018
    With Roehl Transport is there potential to earn more than $500 a week or is that a set rate as a newhire?

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    $500.00 weekly is while you're attending their cdl school only. After graduation you're bumped up to driver pay.

Dan.S and DWisen Thank this.
  10. DWisen

DWisen Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2018
    Thanks for the info everyone. I have applied with PAM and Roehl so far. Schneider is having a hiring seminar near me on the 26th. Hopefully I can get something going soon.

11. DevJohnson

DevJohnson Medium Load Member

Nov 27, 2017
    I just graduated from Knight their school is based out of Phoenix, Az they have awesome instructors and give you all the knowledge you need to get your CDL license in only two weeks

DWisen Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.