Best options for a school

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by DWisen, Jan 11, 2018.

1. CAT76

CAT76 Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2014
    NC
    Try to find a local community college if you can

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nomadatheart

nomadatheart Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2016
    Evans, Colorado
    Been a while since I've been on this forum but giving this trucking some thought again. I know in the past you steered me towards companies that provide paid training here in Colorado but I can't find that post.

4. FuzzyNavl

FuzzyNavl Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2018
    St Louis

5. Drive-by-Yogi

Drive-by-Yogi Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2018
    Memphis, TN
    If you don't want to go the company-sponsored route and can afford the cake ($) upfront then any CVTA or NAPFTDS certified school who is an authorized 3rd party tester for your state DMV licensing should get you the opportunity to be where you want to be. I'm a bit tired of hearing that the classroom hours are a DOT requirement when the guidelines clearly state that they are not (trucking companies just want to see 120+ classroom hours to help reduce insurance costs).

At any rate, they are feeders for the trucking companies and I'm told their recruiters come in with a dog and pony show towards the end of each class. I'm finding many companies with tuition reimbursement but that upfront cost is jamming me up...

6. JenSmithWSJ

JenSmithWSJ Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2017
    I'm a reporter with The Wall Street Journal who covers trucking and logistics.(Jennifer Smith - News, Articles, Biography, Photos - WSJ.com)
    There's a lot of talk right now about trouble finding drivers.
    I'm interested in talking to student drivers or recent graduates about their experiences/future career plans. Any takers please send me a message w/ your contact information. Thanks very much for your time!
    Best,
    Jen

Jwhis Thanks this.
  7. EphTrucker

EphTrucker Light Load Member

Dec 12, 2017
    There is only evidence of a true driver shortage when current drivers are getting maximum weekly miles (not the case), pay increasing, drivers being treated as valuable commodity across industry.

WSJ is just a mouthpiece for oligarchs who run the country.
    Their planned "driver shortage" article is just an advertisement for cheap labor for mega carriers and trucking insurance industry. There is no truck driver shortage.

8. nomadatheart

Jul 14, 2016
    Evans, Colorado
    I just spoke with her over the phone and gave her my perspective from someone looking to get into the industry.

9. jamitallup

jamitallup Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Conspiracy theories are so much fun :D

10. nomadatheart

Jul 14, 2016
    Evans, Colorado
    I think he has a point when saying, "There is only evidence of a true driver shortage when current drivers are getting maximum weekly miles (not the case), pay increasing, drivers being treated as valuable commodity across industry." But we are seeing the opposite in many industries claiming to have a shortage of workers. Their motto is profits over people.

11. jamitallup

jamitallup Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2018
    I think the shortage is there, it's just that the people in the office can get greedy. The executives and the investors want their money out of it. The consignee's want to pay practically nothing. That only leaves truckers to be the ones getting stiffed. Pay gets low, people don't show interest in trucking. Why do this when you can get an associate's degree and make the same amount or more and you get to spend time with your family as well. I think there's more to it than oligarchs and government controlled news. That just sounds like conspiracy theory.

Drive-by-Yogi Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.