Beware of low bridge...OUCH...

Discussion in 'Crete' started by D33RHUNT3R, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. Okieron

Okieron Crusty Okie

Dec 23, 2009
    muskogee, ok
    another Idiot ! Look at what is in front of you and not the phone or book in your hand!

Marky84 Thanks this.
  3. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    If you're concerned, pull up to the bridge and look, don't see how fast you can hit it.

Here's a little hint, if you can, put your CB antennas a 13'6" then, of you come up on a questionable bridge, pull up slow, see if you antennas clear.

dannythetrucker Thanks this.
  4. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    ok, he isnt an idiot, but surely not the brightest bulb in the box

i wonder why he went so far under the bridge before he realized it was too low? you see a low bridge, no matter what the sign says, you slow down in anticipation of that scraping sound, you do not barrel under the bridge until physics stops you

i guess there is an opening at CCC now

5. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Not yet, because with the communication skills in Lincoln, it'll be four months before anyone knows about it.....

losttrucker and jomar68 Thank this.
  6. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    that works on flat ground, but if there is a ascension on the other side of the bridge, your antennae wont tell you, the scraping of the middle of your trailer will be the first sound you hear

7. Marky84

Marky84 Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Jefferson, WI
    didnt cross check with atlas and didnt watch signs. too much faith in tehcnology.

mark 1 eyeball is all ya need

8. socal

socal Medium Load Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Never driven under a bridge in my life that I haven't questioned the height. I guess thats what 5 years local driving in Chicago will do to ya.

9. pokerhound67

pokerhound67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 30, 2012
    didnt see any signs in the video, but...seriously? the "driver" practically made it all the way under the bridge, he was going so ridiculously fast. if no signs, which i find incredibly hard to believe, then even by the look of that bridge alone i can only see justifying having tapped the trailer while going 2mph. that boy was going 35 at least. he's the bulb that causes the entire strand of christmas lights to fail. we have 2 local bridges like that here... both get at least 4 drivers a year who test to see if the bridge has been raised since they put the signs up.

for those newbies unfamiliar with bridge signs in the northeast... there are a couple things to note. the yellow caution signs with height on them are lying to you...the bridge is a good foot higher in many cases than the bridge tells you it is. this, i was told, is to compensate for snow accumulation, but i dont really know why. a WHITE sign with a height indication is CORRECT.
    i mention this because in my first few months as a solo driver i was going to long island over...throggs neck bridge? there was a sign that said "all vehicles over 12'9 take next exit", so i did, and ended up in brooklyn. knew exactly which direction i WANTED to go in, but every road going that way had a low bridge sign...12'9...13'0...12'6.... called dispatch who had no help for me. asked local police, who were not local, and they sent me down a road that dead ended. thankfully they were still in view and helped direct traffic so i could back down the city street (ugh). got out of the situation unscathed, but felt like a complete idiot, and nearly quit that day.

when in doubt...when you see one of those signs...(or DONT see any signs) and youre hauling a standard box/reefer 13'6, for gods sake slow down. look at the traffic going both ways...any trucks? if they make it through, and they are also 13'6", thats a good indicator. heck,pull over and wait a few minutes watching for that other 13'6 truck to go under. many more experienced drivers will carry something that is 13'6" with them...this is a real good idea. but if not, if no other trucks and theres still some question, dont go under at more than 1 or 2 mph. you may just keep your job and not have to pay thousands in fines and tow fees.

10. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    Yet another, 9% driver. You know those who aren't 10% smarter than the technology they use.

48Packard Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.