Beware - Sleep Study

Discussion in 'Crete' started by TruckDuo, Jun 20, 2014.

1. jmk4478

jmk4478 Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Is this cpap stuff being mandated for real?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandson

Brandson Medium Load Member

Dec 14, 2013
    Of you allow yourself,to be diagnosed with sleep apnea, you'll need a cpap and a LARGE tube of KY.

4. Captbob412

Captbob412 Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Lake City, Florida
    I had a sleep study done in 2011 as part of a flight physical due to a Sinus problem (The FAA requested it) and didn't pass. They kept the lights on, lots of noise, and I just couldn't sleep and when I did it wasn't sound.
    HOWEVER, I did a second test a year later:
    I brought a set of ear plugs, took two sleeping pills, and an eye cover and PASSED.
    Everything I had with me was acceptable to the Docs, and if I go to Crete I will have the sleep study done a week previous, as it's done by National Standards that they should accept. If I fail I'll bring the CPAP with me. That should reduce some of the worry.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

xlsdraw Thanks this.
  5. Wild Murphy

Wild Murphy HAPPY TRUCK DRIVER

Mar 25, 2014
    Make sure you already have your results. Is a week enough time for your sleep doc to read it and get you a copy?

Also, just bringing a Cpap along doesnt do anything, you have to prove you are compliant.

Captbob412 Thanks this.
  6. sydsdriver

sydsdriver Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2009
    In the truck
    Most Doctors currently will only give a 3 month card if you are starting to use a CPAP, then once you prove that you are compliant, (using the CPAP regularly) then you get a 1 year card.

If you want to approach it in this manner you may want to consider taking the test, getting your CPAP and using it for awhile so that when you start with the new company you can show that you are compliant with your therapy.

Captbob412 Thanks this.
  7. Captbob412

Captbob412 Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Lake City, Florida
    Hey, Great Idea! Will probably go that route.
    I also forgot to mention to the other driver that "Flat on your back" sleeping for the test is only necessary for a small percentage of the night I believe it is in the 20% range, but I don't remember. I sleep on my left side 80% of the time and passed, so it has to be in there somewhere.
    THANKS!!

xlsdraw Thanks this.
  8. Brandson

Brandson Medium Load Member

Dec 14, 2013
    All these "doctors" have their own rules. Too many of them are just selling machines.

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  9. J_D_Boss_Hawg

J_D_Boss_Hawg Light Load Member

May 25, 2015
    Mebane nc
    The VA did my study the same way. I never sleep on my back and have jacked up sinuses. They told me mine is minor and didn't need a cpap unless I wanted one. Guess I better go ahead and get one before I apply for a cdl.....

10. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Why would you burden yourself with something you were told you didn't need?

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  11. DedHedEd

DedHedEd Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2010
    TulsaTown, OK.
    I've had the CPAP machine for 5 years now. I love it. I sleep on my side, but it will take some getting used to it. It seems to be automatic to be able to roll over and move the hose too, at night. It pumps extra oxygen into your system, thus keeping you awake in the driving hours. Immediately after using this machine, the next day,,,I felt 'refreshed' and did not take naps in the afternoons, as before. i see some here constantly criticize it, but I think the company is being smart; they are keeping drivers alive. Why? So they can work. The cpap machine allows you to stay alive, and work without being tired. I was absolutely, positively against it when I took the test. Swore I'd quit,,,ended up my medical issue of 'not breathing' for 90 plus seconds at a time got my attention. I DID have a quad bypass a couple years before i got this thing, and I DID feel much, much more rested after using the machine. That USExpress guy who is so so negative, yet you haven't used one? What a farce, to give your unexperienced opinion!! Are YOU still alive? Died off yet due to heart attack yet? Just wonderin'...
    IF you kick, jump,,,roll over hard,,,,SNORE loudly,,,wake up your partner, these machines will help you! lol. I can't believe so many think it is a bad thing. It is a good thing to have, sheesh. Could have been a bit cheaper though but it is paid for. MIne is five years old and still works. Fiskel and Paytel? or similar, brand.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.