Beware Texas Special Requirements

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Sir Grouch, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Sir Grouch

Sir Grouch Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2021
    Texas
    If you're studying for your CLP in Texas, don't forget to study the Special Requirements, because you have to pass that before moving on to General Knowledge, Air Brakes, and Combinations.

My recruiter didn't mention it. I didn't see any company websites mention it. And you don't really see it come up a lot in forums. But you want to study Texas Special Requirements. It's the last section of the CDL manual, just sitting there all unassuming like.

I found out about it because I was looking at reviews for CDL Prep and one review mentioned they wished the app covered that particular test. This was like four days before I was scheduled to test and I was like 'WTH!?!?!'

Luckily, I had already studied the other sections so was able to cram the hell out of that info. Passed everything on the first try. WooHoo!!!!

Oh, and CDL Prep is awesome. There are a handful of websites to take sample tests for the Texas Requirements.

silverspur and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Not to be rude. But it wasn't the recruiter's job. If you had read the TX CDL manual. You would have known. Also any TX CDL prep would have shown it.

But it was the easiest test. IMO

Magoo1968 Thanks this.
  4. Sir Grouch

Sir Grouch Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2021
    Texas
    Not to be rude but I found a ton of apps and websites that provided study guides and practice exams for the three main CLP tests. I found four (maybe five) sites and no apps for the TX Special Requirements. Although you're right that I should've noticed that Special Requirements section in the back and investigated then on if there would be a test at some point on it.

Anyway, it wasn't a post about me whining or anything Just trying to provide some helpful info. Still a noob so can't help a lot but figured I could give a heads-up on this. When I went to test, a few others were there to take the same test. At least two were shocked to learn about that test.

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    If you read the Texas CDL manual right under the knowledge tests it's the first one listed even before general knowledge. (Page iv)

This is very much an industry where you are on your own to learn the laws and regulations. Way too many people either don't know or repeat bad information.

As a driver you need to know part 393 and part 395 and I've never seen any place teach it.

Wasted Thyme and Sir Grouch Thank this.
  6. Whatagal

Whatagal Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2020
    North Texas
    You are correct, Sir Grouch. Had any of the people criticizing you had to read the actual book lately, which is only online, they'd know that it tells you which parts to study for what endorsements. NOWHERE does it tell you to study that last chapter. I had a CDL for 20 years & have been a licensed Texas driver for over 40 years. I majored in English and excelled at spelling in primary school and in college. I am not an idiot. I can read. I can comprehend what I read. What you say is correct, Sir Grouch. Thank you for warning others.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    While it's good he warned others, the Texas CDL manual, like I already stated, does give a list on page 4 of all the tests. It's the first one listed as required.
    You can read the online manual and look on page iv, which is page 9 in the pdf. It's crystal clear if you read the prologue, which one should as it's whole reason to be is to well, give a prologue of the manual.
    The manual is at https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/forms/dl-7c.pdf

8. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    First off, I will applaud you for trying to help others avoid your same mistake.

Secondly I am going to take some misdirected anger/frustration out on you.

I have been an OTR trainer for 10 years. I have lost track of the times I've heard "no one told me that", or "why didn't my recruiter tell me", or "how should I have known". If you are told to read something, then you should read it carefully and mindfully. You should think critically about the information presented to you. If an instructor/trainer is speaking they are generally attempting to convey important information. Take ownership of your own learning, you should not "learn it for the test and figure it out later".

New hires are told 4 separate times that they need to bring bedding for when they are out with their trainer. Guess what my guy didn't bring this week? I carry a spare sheet and blanket but not a spare pillow. Guess who threw a mild hissy fit when I wouldn't let him use one of mine.

I was not supposed to have this guy, but his trainer had a family emergency and he got shunted over to me. He was to pick up a rental car in the morning and drive to meet me enroute. When we talked on the phone I asked him to text me an eta once he had the rental car. I got a text saying he was on his way, but no eta. I knew where he was starting from, so I did a little math and figured out he would arrive between 1300 and 1400. He arrived at 1330, we stowed his gear and quickly hammered out the paperwork before hitting the road. As we started down the highway I ran down our trip plan and then asked if he had any questions. His first question was "what does eta mean?". This is after a week of classroom trip planning, why he didn't ask before that I don't know. His second question was "when are we going to stop for lunch?" My response was "why didn't you eat before you got to the truck?" He answered "you didn't tell me to eat lunch before I arrived". I assumed that someone who started his day at 0800, picked up a rental and then drove 150 miles, arriving at 1330 would have had enough sense to stop for lunch along the way.

Don't be this guy. Step up and be responsible for your own learning.

9. CowboyTim

CowboyTim Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2018
    How the f--- does any adult not know what "ETA" means. I mean, it's not just a "trucking term," for heaven's sake.

Warrior Pump and Crude Truckin' Thank this.
  10. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    Where do these people come from? I do not get it! It's like these guys just shaat their brains out their azzes!

CowboyTim Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.