Beware they will RIP you off!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Bigrig524, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Bigrig524

Bigrig524 Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2017
    We are owner operators who had a breakdown with our rig in Sweetwater Texas. We had T/A repair our truck. We had a bad tension pulley and broke serpentine belt. The Sweetwater T/A was kind enough to mark our parts up to more than double the dealership prices! The mechanic there told us in private that they are to jack up the repair bills esp with big trucking companies who come through there. I Spoke to T/A's district manager, who said its standard practice to mark up prices. (I'm sure since it beefs up his bonus to pay for his yacht.) Good to know, they are out to stick it to the hard working drivers, who bust ##* to make a living.

bzinger and Ooops Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kenworth 4life

Kenworth 4life Medium Load Member

Feb 16, 2017
    Augusta, Maine
    That was a simple fix, and the parts store will deliver. so I'm wondering why you didn't fix it yourself?

4. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Third-party parts are pretty much always marked up; 100% may be a bit much, but 30-50% is common. Ask before you order, it might be cheaper for you to hail a ride to get the parts yourself or get them delivered to you first... assuming you can't do the work yourself.

crb and flood Thank this.
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Ok, even for a simple fix like a tension pully why let TA work on your truck? Heck even as a company driver the most I will let them touch is a light or tire.
    As for the markup I doubt it was over 100%. As stated before it's common for any shop to markup parts. It's mainly, I've been told, to cover warranty work. Dunno how true that is, but sounds plausible.

Leftlane101, NoAutoZone and crb Thank this.
  6. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    This is nothing new

Socal Xpress and crb Thank this.
  7. CJndaTruck

CJndaTruck Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Knoxville, TN (area)
    I thought the OP was going to tell us about a real shop or something. Pfft TA/petro always has jacked up part prices. If you are in a bind you use them for labor. That's all.

8. d281833

d281833 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2012
    News flash this just in , shops don't sell parts or anything else for that matter at their cost. Especially truckstop chains.

9. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Wait til he figures out without a discount fuel card they've been getting him for .40 per gallon or so above what most everyone else is paying....

Leftlane101 and cnsper Thank this.
  10. BQ Truck Driver

BQ Truck Driver Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Repair shops are in business to make money, same reason you drive. Would you haul a load for only the amount it costs you? You shouldn't expect other businesses to perform a service for nothing. Truck drivers aren't the only ones busting our ###, which actually we are sitting on it for 95% of our job. People that believe they are the only ones who "bust their #####" and should turn a profit for their services, while everyone else should be cutting them a break for their apparently worthless service are beyond annoying and ignorant.

Grubby, delta5, Blackshack46 and 4 others Thank this.
  11. ladr

ladr Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2013
    GA
    I'm putting my money oh op is a lease guy

Leftlane101 and Stormy 69 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.