Beware they will RIP you off!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Bigrig524, Mar 20, 2017.

1. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Yeah, maybe a lease guy who just thinks he's an OO. Most OO's would have done the work themselves.
    He should have asked for an estimate or least found out what the parts cost would be.
    Tough lesson to learn and next time he'll probably do better.

flood Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I wouldn't even ask ta or petro for an estimate.... last time I did that they tried handing me a bill for 40 some odd dollars....for the estimate of 800 something to replace an air bag on the trailer! Including $50 to make a "parts run".... air bags aren't common enough to keep in stock?? And somehow it inflates to 800??? I ended up pinching the line and driving it home under cover of darkness....was a company driver at the time and wasn't that far from home. To heck with the major truck stops altogether!

Snailexpress Thanks this.
  4. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I stopped going to T/A after an encounter in Greencastle with their "parts department".

It was 2am, had a headlight out, and my spare somehow got lost. So I wheel in there, thinking it would be a five minute stop. I look around for the light, and finally went to the parts counter. The guy on the other side looked stoned out of his mind and fresh out of high school.

'Hi, I need a headlight for a 2013 Western Star 4900."

His response:

"Umm, well, we don't have those in stock." I could order one and have it by 8am."

Me: "what's that thing on the shelf behind you?" While pointing at the very light I need.

"Those are sealed beam halogen bulbs, they aren't 'headlights' sir".

He's lucky I didn't leap across the counter and choke him.

$14.99 and twenty minutes later, I take my sealed beam halogen bulb out to my truck and replace it.

That was enough for me

tucker Thanks this.
  5. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    The easiest way to correct this problem is to "break down" in front of your local trusted mechanic, Since that's highly unlikely, you are at the mercy of highway robbers.

Western flyer Thanks this.
  6. skibum_63

skibum_63 Road Train Member

Oct 12, 2007
    somewhere, USA
    When hasn't a mega chain Marked up prices on anything. ?
    you beeing an owner operator should know first thing, don't buy engine part at truck stops.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.