Bicycle Rack

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Midwest Kid, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Midwest Kid

Midwest Kid Bobtail Member

Dec 25, 2008
    Lincoln, NE
    Hello all! I’m getting ready to take a regional driving position and I want to do my best to get some exercise while I’m on the road.

Question is: Have you ever seen or heard of mounting a bike rack to the back of the tractor or even on the cat walk? Also if you have any tips of staying fit on the road please share.

Thank you for your time.

mamihu and deathB4decaf Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I've seen ONE truck with a bike rack on the Front bumper. I've seen maybe 20 bikes in 25 years on the back of the truck.

Here are the problems with a bike as exercise.

1. They take up a lot of room.
    2. Once you see how every 4-wheeler drives you will feel in danger in an 80,000 lb commercial vehicle. Not to mention a bicycle.
    3. To get exercise requires a few miles of riding. Bikes are created to cover the most distance per minute of any exercise device.

Carry some walking shoes, some resistance bands or barbells. You're going to need exercises for your core & your back. Bikes don't do anything for those. Walking provides 90% of the benefits of jogging with 10% of joint impact of jogging.

not4hire and tommymonza Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Get a folding bicycle and keep it inside the truck. Top bunk is a good place to store it if your truck has double bunks. Anyway, it'll fit inside. It'll get filthy with road grime even if you try to keep it covered.

tscottme and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  5. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    BMX bike and do box sprints in a parking lot. It will kick your ### as far as workouts go. My biggest concern is keeping the bike from getting all f'ed up in the weather. This is my cruiser, I run 41/15 gearing for training and it's a hell of a workout. If you have a truck with a top bunk you don't use and can spare the roof of having it folded down it would fit up there. 15639784231057097096155237369655.jpg

Itp2209 and 86scotty Thank this.
  6. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    I've carried a bicycle for years. 25-50 miles on a Saturday is about average. I've always been allowed to remove my passenger seat in company trucks and did the same when I bought my own. Now is a bit difficult because wifey refuses to give up shotgun... :-D
    As soon as I take some time off, I've a design in my head for attaching 2 bicycles to my headache rack. When it's done I'll share photos.

not4hire, Midwest Kid and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  7. akfisher

akfisher Road Train Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Ive seen lots of bikes strapped behind the cab. Stay out of the fast food places and practice fasting on the road. One meal a day and lots of stretching and take a walk during your 30 minute break

Midwest Kid and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  8. UturnGirl

UturnGirl Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
    Can strap vertically in the corner behind the cab wing. Keeps it pretty clean and up out of the way of hoses. If you have enough space between cab and trailer, you can actually hang a bike rack on back of cab. But be sure you have the space. I broke one bike in half jacking into parking once. oops!

I got a cheap folding bike from Wal-Mart once. It fit between dash and passenger seat but bike was heavy and had 20" wheels.

Lots of options. Wish I had pix.

Midwest Kid and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  9. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Just mounted mine a couple weeks ago. What @tscottme said is true about walking and getting different kinds of exercise but when I have to take a 34 on the road or am stuck somewhere having a 'dinghy' is pretty awesome. I've found lots of parking close to greenways and places to ride, too. Just gotta use the Google.

[​IMG]Untitled by K A, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Untitled by K A, on Flickr

I keep the front wheel in the cab so less interest in stealing it. Be careful where you park with a bike though. If they want it they'll get it.

10. CrossBuck _Jim

CrossBuck _Jim Bobtail Member

Apr 25, 2019
    WindyCity
    I know it is an oldish post; but I will be starting with a new dry van/reefer company. Not much physical work expected. As a long time avid cyclist, I can guarantee once I am solo there will be some kind of bike with me.
    Probably either BikeFriday or Brompton. Yea the little wheels look silly but I have a friend who did a 600mile tour on one and had no major complaints.
    the benefit of keeping my bike safe in the cab is worth any down side.

UturnGirl and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  11. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Agree with that 100% it's nice to know it's in out of the weather and under lock and key.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.