Big cam 3 400

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Adisiwaya, Aug 17, 2022.

1. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    The flywheel is definitely not interchangeable but it’s likely drilled for the same size clutch or possibly has 2 sets of holes to bolt the clutch on. the center clearance in the flywheel might be different and could interfere with the damper spring in the clutch disk.

Roger McG, wore out and Adisiwaya Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    As far as your engine mounts could go either way. Might be surprisingly interchangeable or nothing close.
    I have seen both ways. If the cummins came from a kw you will probably be pretty close if not the same.

wore out and Adisiwaya Thank this.
  4. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Some did come with a 15 inch clutch but uncommon. He can figure that out rear quick.

Adisiwaya and Dino soar Thank this.
  5. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    The inlet and outlets on the radiator tanks are different between Cat and Cummins. Some Cummins used two bolt rear mounts and others used one bolt solid mounts. I do know if it was old enough to have had a 1693 in it. Nothing is remotely close for a 855 Cummins swap as far as mounts, radiator or position in frame. I’m up against that trying to put a BC in my ‘73 Pete 352 that had a 1693 long ago.

Adisiwaya Thanks this.
  6. Adisiwaya

Adisiwaya Light Load Member

Mar 25, 2017
    That's what I been worried about and curious if I can use same radiator that the 3406b used. Really going have to look at things this weekend. I did have to laugh shop was quoting me 10 grand to swap engines.... Don't think it'll be anywhere near that and pretty determined to just do it myself now

7. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    A lot of the older radiator tanks were made to be a universal fit so to speak. They may have holes and threaded bungs in different places with bolted on plates covering the hole not used. All you have to do is find the right hose inlets and gaskets that bolt on and cover the hole that is now not used. Some engines may pull from left on tank were Cummins pulls from right and so on.

Adisiwaya Thanks this.
  8. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    5023B1AC-1DA2-4302-9457-9251A472065A.jpeg F3B7B853-998C-43EA-B490-82D48449D167.jpeg This what i’m referring to. This is the radiator in the 352. It is 1050 square inches. Pretty close to Kw’s size I recall. You can see the plate I’m referring to on the top tank. The cat pulled from the left and a Cummins is going to use that right side hole. On the bottom the Cat pulled from both sides and Cummins will only use the right side. So I have to cover left hole with a plate. Also cats used bigger dia. hoses to water pump and thermo housing than Cummins.

This was the setup for a 1693. Not sure if the 3406 was same.

Attached Files:

Adisiwaya and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  9. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    I’m not sure why Cat pulled from the bottom with two outlets. I was told it may be because it had a brake saver and needed more cooling flow faster. But this truck has no signs of ever having the controls for it in the cab anywhere. No scars from the extra trolly valve to be found.
    Problem I have is the engine has been MIA for 32 years and all the folks I know that had any first hand experience with 1693’s or this truck have passed on.

10. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    E1D70369-C3E7-4BB0-AD6D-5C9B078389C2.jpeg Engine mounts were different from Cats to Cummins back then. They were much bigger and different shape. But like I said not sure on the 3406.
    When the engine was removed back in 1990 the rear mounts were removed as well.
    The truck and engine were pushed back into a dark corner of the shop and shady family members on my uncles married side “borrowed” everything years ago. So I’m sure statute of limitations are up. Lol!

Attached Files:

mile marker 27 and Adisiwaya Thank this.
  11. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I don't know about the caterpillar but the thermostat housing on the Cummins is on the right hand side and the lower hose to the radiator is also on the right hand side.

My truck had a series 60 on it so the lower radiator hose on the right fits but I had to run a pipe across the top to connect to the outlet on the top left for the radiator. Nothing wrong with that I think that's just how the radiators are even for the regular Cummins engine. Can't tell you anything about the caterpillar though.

No, that's crazy.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.