big cam 400 cummins tricks

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by fullthrotle, May 10, 2007.

1. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    BC4 i think should be as simple as screwing a 444 fuel system and turbo onto it. I don’t know what pistons your CPL has.That should be your only restricting factor as far as what you can fuel your engine up to.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SmokinCAT

SmokinCAT Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Hillsboro, OH./ Adrian, MI
    You want him to convert a non STC engine to STC just to increase power?

That requires a cam change as well as making sure the rocker boxes are capable of handling the step timing.

4. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I’d want him to shove a 3406 in it instead of messin’ with the brown thing.

5. Mountainmover

Mountainmover Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Speaking of a 3406. I’ve always heard they are way better at preformance than Cummins. I’ve owned some 3406 trucks but never went wild with upgrades.
    What are the bonuses of a 3406 over a big cam Cummins or n14?
    I’m guessing Cummins is cheaper up front, good on fuel, and parts are cheap. I guessing 3406 has more cost up front, better stock level torque, better performance potential, and parts are higher?
    Downside of Cummins is cam issues and less torque?
    Downside of cat is single head that can crack easier?

So, my big cam Cummins nc-315 Brown Engine should go what direction for useable performance? Pull it out and change pistons, head gasket, cam timing and what?
    I have low flow cooling. I know that needs to change soon. Works good right now but....
    Is my engine a counter sunk liner engine?
    1985-1986 freightliner flc120.

6. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Around 85 and 6 were change over years from standard to lower press fit liners. Even if it came with standard liners it could have been changed over. You never know until the old liner is in your hands.
    I reread through the post but will still likely mess this up. Someone will correct me no doubt.
    There were some good posts on pump adjustments. I usually drop the button size to the second lower number. They skip some numbers. Test your AFC system. Pulse manifold replaced the log. What turbo do you have? Install a pyrometer.
    I have a hard time tearing done a perfectly good engine for a little more power. May come from overcoming an addiction. More is always better. My wallet says otherwise. If it needs an overhaul that is a different story.
    Do you know some of the N series came set at 2450 RPM? They can stand some of that. Fuel also increases with RPM so be careful.

7. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    @OLDSKOOLERnWV can point you in the right direction. I believe he started with a bc4 315 aswell

8. SmokinCAT

SmokinCAT Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Hillsboro, OH./ Adrian, MI
    What CPL is the engine, that can change the answers to your question a good bit.

9. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Probably a 838 if he says bc4 315

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Spend a sufficient amount of money. Enjoy a new 750 horse engine.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  11. Mountainmover

Mountainmover Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2015

My brown big cam 4 low flow neck-315 is a CPL 749.
    It runs a little stouter than a 315 and feels more like around 400ish. When I bought the truck the cab was bent and truck had just had an overhauled engine at a popular shop in Chattanooga converting it to 400ish. I can confirm it was a fresh rebuild but as far as being a 400hp....., I can’t confirm that.
    The turbo seems to be an aftermarket looking unit. Don’t think it’s an holset HS4. Some numbers or data plate seems to be missing. It doesn’t blow black smoke. Only a bit of white(temporarily on start up) after sitting forever. I only use the truck occasionally to move my own heavy equipment. Never, ever uses oil.
    Low, low miles on motor since I’ve had it. Maybe 4000 or less.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.