Big Road - E Log ( iPhone or Android )

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Jar-Head, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Jar-Head

Jar-Head Road Train Member

Dec 7, 2013
    I saw the Big Road app in the iPhone App Store and been playing with it a few days now . I like the logs it puts out with inspections etc . Just wondering if anyone else is using this app or any other log app and wanted to kinda get a general consensus on using these .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    donce your free trial is up. the cost is $15 a month.

4. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    I've been using the app on android then iPhone for awhile now and haven't seen a bill. I think that's only for folks using the fleet functionality, then it's $15/driver.

I love it. Just wish it could import/export data from DDL, since those guys have no plans for mobile devices ever.

5. Jar-Head

Dec 7, 2013
    Yeah the fleet is 15 a month . But you get allot of extras I'm thinking about doing it

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    i installed on my phone early last year. played with it for 3 months.

around turkey time. i installed on my tablet. using same screen name. now it wants billing

7. RWK Hauling

RWK Hauling Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2014
    I've been using it since I started my company last April. It has worked nicely and has some nice features. I was brought in for my first level 1 inspection in AZ last week. The officer said that if the log isn't tied into the motor then it's not valid. I told him this is the first I'm hearing of this and that CO gave me a level 3 the previous week with no issues. I emailed him what he requested and that was the last he said of it. I've been told a few times now that you're still required to carry a paper log just in case the phone goes down. The CO officer said I could be ticketed for it but wouldn't dock me for it that time.

8. Jar-Head

Dec 7, 2013
    Here is a big difference in the 2 technologies.

1. Big Road is not a EOBR it is a Electronic log device same as a paper log just not on paper it's delivered electronically . Big Road is not hooked into the ECM of the truck .

2. EOBR is hooked to the ECM directly and records events as they happen and truck movement

in order to be legal with Big Road you will need the following - Because remember it's just a electronic paper log .

1. Be able to produce a Paper copy of your current days log or last 7 days upon request via a paper copy ( printer )
    2. Have a Quick Reference Card for Inspections ( Big Road has a Driver Card on the website you can print for inspections )
    3. A spare paper log in if system fails

there is a difference in Electronic Logs and EOBR so be sure you say your on paperless not EOBR in a inspection . When inspected I normally present the following just so it goes easier .
    1. Paper Copies ( if needed )
    2. Ability to Email ( if requested )
    3. The phone ( in inspection mode )

RWK Hauling Thanks this.
  9. Minia

Minia Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Chicago
    nice app. Still playing with it, working great on iphone 5s, but not on ipad air, it doesn't turn sideways and its like you maximize iphone screen 1x 2x on ipad air.

10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    They do NOT have to allow you the ability to print off the previous 7 days. If you do not already have them printed off and ready to hand over on request, they can and probably will write you up for not being current, even if your mobile log shows as current. I know of drivers who got wrote up for this,. BigBadBill even got a ticket for it when he was still driving. I know it is a BS way to ding a record but it is what it is. Don't let it happen to you.

Jar-Head Thanks this.
  11. Jar-Head

Dec 7, 2013
    I'm looking for a good IPhone compatible Air Print / copy that doesn't cost a ton

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.