Big Road Trucker log book

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by moujick, May 1, 2014.

1. moujick

moujick Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2007
    California
    I would like to know if i can show Big Road Trucker log book to any 48 state DOT officer

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    If you can show it to one then you can show it to all. Just make sure you have a way to print it out for some of the anal ones.

Davidlee, Cetane+ and moujick Thank this.
  4. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    This is nothing more than a computer generated log sheet and must be printed each day in order to comply with the regulations.

5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    As long as you have paper. It don't matter what you use.

moujick Thanks this.
  6. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    I used Big Road and showed it to two dot officers at scales. They had no problem with it. It has a function where you tap inspect logs and hand it to the officer.

That being said, I am not a fan of Big Road.

SQ609 and moujick Thank this.
  7. Davidlee

Davidlee Medium Load Member

Aug 31, 2012
    Not true! Printing is only required if requested by the officer. You can also email them to him if he is ok with it. Two inspections so far and was not asked to produce any paper logs.

8. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    Read the regulations that I have posted.

When you find one that follows the rules you will find out as others have. Why do you think they get nailed for failure to have the previous 7 days on their inspections?

You can find this on the fmcsa website

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/section/395.8?guidance

Question 28: May a driver use a computer to generate his or her record of duty status (log book) and then manually sign the computer printouts in lieu of handwritten logs?
    Guidance:
    A driver may use a computer to generate the graph grid and entries for the record of duty status or log books, provided the computer-generated output includes the minimum information required by §395.8 and is formatted in accordance with the rules. In addition, the driver must:
    [TABLE="class: nrlist"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: nr"]1.[/TD]
    [TD="class: nr"]Be capable of printing the record of duty status for the current 24-hour period at the request of an enforcement officer.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: nr"]2.[/TD]
    [TD="class: nr"]Print the record of duty status at the end of each 24-hour period, and sign it in his or her handwriting to certify that all entries required by this section are true and correct.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: nr"]3.[/TD]
    [TD="class: nr"]Maintain a copy of printed and signed records of duty status for the previous 7 consecutive days and make it available for inspection at the request of an enforcement officer.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Last edited: May 3, 2014
    Joetro, CondoCruiser and Cetane+ Thank this.
  9. Davidlee

Aug 31, 2012
    Big Road is not used to GENERATE anything. It's used for the electronic storage of records which is acceptable by fmcsa.

10. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    Same as a computer can do.

You have been advised of the rules.

I know drivers who used it and received the fine for not having the previous 7 days.

Good luck.

Cetane+ and Joetro Thank this.
  11. Davidlee

Aug 31, 2012
    They may not have had a printer. By the fmcsa rules, the driver MUST be allowed time to produce(print) the requested documents.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.