Bishop State Trucking School

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by KD5AXG, Mar 1, 2016.

1. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Sounds like you are well underway... :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KD5AXG

KD5AXG Papa Bear

Sep 3, 2006
    Commerce, Texas
    Things are going well. Now at the close of week 3. Class is thinning out slowly but surely. Started road driving last Tuesday. Did well, downshifting is still giving me grief. But, I am still on track to take my skills and road test next week. I will be a huge help with this thinning, but still quite large class. I am already instructing a few. It is nice to be able to give back to a school, especially one the caliber of BSCC. It is an honor to be assisting. I love to teach.

The school has a backing test that must be passed to get the certificate. Parallel parking, offset backing and serpentine backing. I performed all three with only 1 pull up each. Then worked with a few others to help them figure out what they were doing wrong.

Double clutching is required for an Alabama CDL. Not happy about it, but I may just not do it and float up shift and dbl clutch to down shift. It will be 5 points max off my driving test. I was hoping to top my 2006 test score of 96, but I fear that dbl clutching will kill my knee. We will see how I feel on test day.

More next week. Roll on everyone, and keep safe out there!!

4. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    I hated downshifting...
    Ugliest thing I have ever done... LOL

Well, that and my backing... ;-)

KD5AXG Thanks this.
  5. KD5AXG

KD5AXG Papa Bear

Sep 3, 2006
    Commerce, Texas
    End week 3. I did 5 hours today that puts me at 141.25 hours of the 280 hour program. I passed my class required backing test, consisting of parallel parking, offset back and serpentine back. I loved that serpentine back. Great exercise.

Passing that, I get to start practicing on the official testing course. Making up a 100' straight back, to an offset back, then a 90 deg alley back for the state test later next week. Lead instructor showed me the test form. If I don't get ####y, I'll do quite well, then finish my school time as an instructor. Looking forward to it.

6. KD5AXG

KD5AXG Papa Bear

Sep 3, 2006
    Commerce, Texas
    Passed my CDL skills test today. Will go Friday to get it all done and legal.

7. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Congrats!

KD5AXG Thanks this.
  8. KD5AXG

KD5AXG Papa Bear

Sep 3, 2006
    Commerce, Texas
    Week 4 in the books. Tested and passed my CDL tests on Tuesday. Got my real CDL Thursday. I am the first in the class to pass the skills tests. Now, I get to teach for the remainder of my school time. Speaking of which, I sat down and worked out my hours. On my current pace, I will have all 280 hours completed on April 20. 2 weeks ahead of schedule.

I still highly recommend Bishop State CC Trucking School. The instructors are tough, but fair. I am VERY honored to be an asst. instructor for the school, even though it is temporary.

Roll on...Roll safe....and roll with honor!
    God's will be done.

SHOJim Thanks this.
  9. KD5AXG

KD5AXG Papa Bear

Sep 3, 2006
    Commerce, Texas
    Week 5 now in the books. I tested out of all the school work. So, now I am either taking out better CDL permit drivers, or teaching/grading fellow students on the school backing course. That consists of parallel parking, serpentine back and offset back. All must pass these to earn the school certificate. I am now looking to graduate on April 19th and start at Abilene Motor Express on April 25th.

I was chosen at random to be re-tested by a Alabama DPS examiner. Not re-testing me, per sae, but grading the instructor that was my examiner for my CDL skills tests in week 4. Needless to say, my instructor should be proud.

Roll on...Roll safe...And roll with honor!!
    God's will be done.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. KD5AXG

KD5AXG Papa Bear

Sep 3, 2006
    Commerce, Texas
    My service has been rewarded. I have been hired by Abilene Motor Express out of Richmond, VA and will start orientation on April 20th.

Bishop State Community College Trucking School gets a 4 star rating from me.

Peace and safe travels to all!!

11. AUfan78

AUfan78 Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Mobile, Alabama
    I stopped by there today and talked with Billy Toxie about 3rd party testing. Floating was one of the things I asked about. Maybe it changed since you were there but he told me it was 1 point for floating and like he said, better to take the 1 point floating if that's what you can doing instead of grinding gears trying to double clutch when you aren't used to it.

KD5AXG Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.