1. L.B.

L.B. Third Generation Truck Driver

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    I hauled produce as a kid. Family business! I joined the Army for a break and went to war. What does that tell you??:biggrin_25526:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    If I ever get that way, I've got an exgirlfriend who will at least make it fun.:biggrin_2559:

4. MUSTANGGT

MUSTANGGT Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Georgia
    Yeah, on call 24/7 has to be a treat. Like being on the fire department I imagine.

5. bigrigdriver229

bigrigdriver229 Light Load Member

Dec 19, 2008
    watervliet, ny
    MY woman swears up and down while we were driving the midwest that when I was sleeping and she was running the nite driving and just one lane open due to the orange barrels she was so tired but kept going to find the next decent truck stop for me to take over that she swears she's seen construction workers on the side of the road that were not there, thats whats considered the BLACK DOG affect, no actual dog, its just a funny term, where your so fatigued that you start to see things that are not there. and in some instance it was there but by time your brain transmitts it ,, its too late.... theats why she'd pull over. in the movie Swayze's charector was so tired he dozed off and woke up and he was on top of the car before he could stop and the people were killed.

Bayou_baby Thanks this.
  6. Rat Fink

Rat Fink Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Lethbridge, AB
    When I was in the oilfield I was driving to another wellsite after working 46 continuous hours working at the previous site. I saw what looked to be a magic carpet float across the highway....but the carpet had a head on it (kind of like a bear skin rug with the head). The head turned and looked at me with glowing eyes as it floated by. That was the wierdest thing I've seen. Its usually just fake deer. Another time it felt like I was going insanely fast so I slowed down...and slowed down more....and more....until I felt I was under control at a nice calm 35mph. Yup, time to pull over.

Bayou_baby Thanks this.
  7. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    What I hate is when I'm driving through construction and the barrels get up and start running around. It's very hard to stay in the lane with them doing that.

8. Kittyfoot

Kittyfoot Crusty Ancient

Sep 21, 2009
    Sorrento, Louisiana
    Years back up home in Canada I was driving along one spring day. Just nicely coming daylight and because I was running alongside a river there was heavy fog in all the lowlying areas. I always get a bit drowsy just at daylight. Suddenly on my left, looming out of the fog is a freakin' airplane!!! Then it disappears back into the fog and I'm past. Now I'm wiiide awake, heart is pounding. Then comes a shakey voice on the CB.... "Hey buddy, did you see something.... unusual... back there?" I see the lights of another truck about a mile ahead. "Uhhh, do you mean the airplane?", I manage to answer. "Oh thank God you saw it too!!", comes the reply, "I thought I was losing my mind".

Turns out the plane was real. The govt uses a bunch of WW2 type Avenger aircraft for forest spraying and such. Seems one had an engine prob the day before. The pilot landed it on the highway and they just pushed it backwards into some guy's driveway till they could get a mechanic out to fix it.

Never know what you're gonna see out there.:biggrin_2559:

Bayou_baby Thanks this.
  9. sandman1976

sandman1976 Medium Load Member

Mar 5, 2009
    burgaw,nc
    i got so tired up in PA on one of their four lane highways,that i pulled over to take a nap. i woke up # 4 or 5am with my foot dead to the floor on the brake pedal. i was trying to keep from running into the back of the truck that was driving in front of me in my dream. the bad part is that i was so sleepy i parked less than 1ft from the white solid line in the break down lane. it was on the side of a rolling hill,so if i would've jumped out to take a leak,let's just say i wouldn't be typing this story right now. there is no substitute for rest,even if u get a little bit at a time.

10. L.B.

L.B. Third Generation Truck Driver

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    Reminds me of a joke my old man used to tell:

A trucker is haulin ### through the desert one night and comes up on another truck stopped in the middle of the road. He gets out to see what the problem is and the other driver says, "I'm just waitin for the train to pass."

The first driver looks out at the empty desert and tells him there is no train. So they start rolling again.

Couple of miles down the road he is stopped again. When asked what the problem is, he says, "Waitin for this herd of cattle to cross the road."

After being assured there were no cattle they were rolling again.

A couple of more miles down the road, the first driver comes up on the scene of an accident and sure enough it's the second driver. He ran into the back of a truck pulling a boat. So, he gets out and goes to see if he OK. The second driver says, "I don't want to hear anything from you. I stopped for a train and you told me there was no train. I stopped for the cattle and you told me there were no cattle. So then when I saw the boat and didn't see any water, I sure as hell wasn't going to stop again!"

I had a single engine plane land in front of me in the I-75 southbound lane going through Macon, GA last year. I thought he did a pretty good job merging with traffic until he clipped the guardrail. :biggrin_25513:

11. Freebird135

Freebird135 Road Train Member

May 7, 2009
    In the air conditioning
    had the road disappear from under me once, 4 wheelin real late at night with no sleep

one of those days where im tryin desperately to stay away til i get home, and literally fall asleep for a second or 2 a dozen times on the way home

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.