Black Electrical Connections

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Tute12, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Tute12

Tute12 Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2019
    I am running four 2018 T880s with ISX15 to haul sulfur, and the dash display keeps going out. When I remove the display, all of the connections on the back have a black film on them. Fuses are doing the same thing. Have to replace them every couple of months. Has anyone else experienced this before?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    my only guess would be that your cabin air intake is sucking in the dust. keep the outside vents closed, but i believe no matter what, you're still gonna be getting that dust in the cabin.

possible that the dust is making a connection to the exposed contacts on the connections, and/or seeping into the fuse box.

only thing i can think of is that you might have to somehow install some sort of covering up under your dash, like maybe that roll of home insulation cut to size?

never heard of this before, but could be plausible with all that sulfur dust.

4. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
  5. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Mayby light film of dielectric grease? I know that draws dust to stick..but may seal it half decent.

6. War-Eagle

War-Eagle Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Fort Worth, Texas
    @Tute12 Here is a link to a technical document that covers the problem in industrial applications. The electrical components in the truck are made of the same types of materials as in industrial electrical equipment, so with the same atmospheric conditions the results would be the same.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/2860/1159077033

Hope that sheds some light on what you're up against.

Snailexpress Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.