BLACKLISTED

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Beaver9, Dec 6, 2021.

1. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Well you might want to take that math curse too.
    If the terms are NET30, then it it the functional equivalent of 36%APR. If it's a NET90, it's the same as an APR of 12%, which is still huge.

BennysPennys Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BennysPennys

BennysPennys Road Train Member

Sep 24, 2021
    If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. On a 3% discounted invoice fee, that you sold to a factor that is payable net 30 is the same as a 30-day loan and it is equal to paying an interest rate 36% APR.

So, let's say you generate $50k per month to your truck. You sell all of your invoices that are payable to you at net 30 (Assuming you know what a payable in net 30 invoice is) at a 3% discount. You will receive $48,500 for the $50,000 in invoices from a factor co. Therefor, you are giving up $1,500 that will go to a factor when they collect from the Shippers/Brokers the full $50,000 from the invoices. YOU DO THIS EVERY MONTH YOU PAY (or you are giving up on collecting on) $18,000. PER YEAR. Ready because here is the FUN PART- for the Factoring Co., $18,000 divided by $50,000 is equal to 36%. Yep, they are earning 36% on money that cost them about 5%-6% a year.

Now here is a little Fun Fact- Brokers have to have a Performance Bond to be in business. This is what happens if they go titsup and don't pay, you may have to wait to post against their Bonding Company that will take far longer than 30 days, but you will get your money. And believe me no Freight Broker will ever want you to file against their bond because they pay a fee for that Bond, and it will go up in astronomical rates if they ever pay a clime. Oh, and if the Freight Broker files Chapter 11 Guess who is first in line with the creditors to get paid - the Bond Company.

This is not about MATH it is about FINANCE.

Beaver9, ZVar and ProfessionalNoticer Thank this.
  4. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Maybe he should take his own advice.

5. RunningAces

RunningAces Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2017
    Good post, if a broker goes belly up though won't that bond of 75k or 100k be used up very quickly so you probably won't get paid as a carrier? I was under the impression that the bond was far more useful in cases where the broker is still doing business but decides not to pay you for whatever reason?

6. ProfessionalNoticer

Apr 25, 2021
    Indeed. There's even a few brokers I deal with via TriumphPay that quick pay as low as 1.5 percent now. Even the average of 3 percent is way better than any factoring scam. Not to mention, QP is no strings attached. You're simply giving a discount for early invoice payment. Easy!

BennysPennys and RunningAces Thank this.
  7. ProfessionalNoticer

Apr 25, 2021
    Neither will the Carrier. The factoring company will take back the money they loaned to you in the event of bankruptcy. No such thing as "non-recourse" it's all in the fine print of their BS contracts.

8. BennysPennys

BennysPennys Road Train Member

Sep 24, 2021
    I loved the old 2-10 net 30 Invoices that was the fasted check I would write to get the 2% discount by paying in just 10 days.

9. Beaver9

Beaver9 Heavy Load Member

Jun 15, 2020
    Now, I'm waiting for Ease Logistics to pay. It's 40 days. Not sure if told the truth, but they said it is being paid today.
    I will follow up tomorrow to see if they have done it.

Edit:

Called again to ask for the copy of the front/back of the check. I was told that ACH will be wired instead. So, funds should be coming tomorrow.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
    RunningAces and BennysPennys Thank this.
  10. ProfessionalNoticer

Apr 25, 2021
    Were the payment terms NET30? Did you start collection efforts at day 31?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.