Blind side backing

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Lonewolf2000, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Lonewolf2000

Lonewolf2000 Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2017
    New York
    I absolutely hate blind side backing and avoid it at all costs but I’ve been to a handful of places I’ve had to do it. I go very slow and g.o.a.l far more often than if it were on my sight side. Besides avoiding it all together are there any tricks or tips for doing it safely?.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    See thread titled BLIND.

Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  4. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Is the truck in your Avatar the one your currently driving? If so open the curtain shade on the back passenger side window when doing a blind side giving you another way to see.

5. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Your are doing it safely.
    Use your right moto mirror also sometimes I just set the breaks roll the passenger window down and lean over a look out the window.
    Thats usually when I don't have anything to worry about on my left though.
    Don't be scared of it , being able to comes in very handy.
    Practice , practice , practice.

6. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    Take your time and take as many pull ups as you need to get that thing in the dock w/o bending up the equipment.

7. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    a good back is where you don't hit anything your not supposed too and a bad back is when you do ..... there are no style points and no penalties for time .... the biggest thing is if you're not sure get out . ... blindsiding takes practice and patience and avoiding whenever possible. ..... pull ups are free and don't even think about what other drivers think about you taking your time and getting out and looking. .. ect. and if you haven't noticed yet there is a good share of other drivers that are morons anyway

8. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    You know how to do it safely. Like anything practice makes it easier.

You already know how the truck reacts and like a sight side back the key is in the set up. It's just a mirror image. Relax, don't rush it and goal as often as needed.

Heck, the goal is easier sometimes since it's often the driver side you're checking on.

Nothereoften Thanks this.
  9. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Great advice above. I definitely recommend using your rear passenger side window if you have one and also stopping and adjusting your power passenger side mirror as you go. GOAL of course, you need the exercise anyway if you drive a truck.

There's one other thing. If you're in a blind side back at a tight dock and you get near another driver's truck he is almost always going to get out and marshall you. Truckers don't seem to help each other out much anymore, generally speaking, but if you're in a blind side and a driver sees that you might bend HIS truck he'll get out and help.

Bfr38, Nothereoften, Lepton1 and 2 others Thank this.
  10. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    You also have power mirrors that you can adjust out to some degree. That can be helpful when blindsiding.

Nothereoften, Lepton1 and Dan.S Thank this.
  11. Lonewolf2000

Lonewolf2000 Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2017
    New York
    No my avatar is not my truck. That’s not a
    Bad idea to open curtain shade.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.