Blindside alley docking

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mr. EastCoast, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Preferably you can back up a bit, and straighten up enough to use the mirror, Then back up some more, pull up again, till your confident it’s in the right spot. Then GOAL, or at least get up and look out right mirror. Power mirrors help. Often mines not working right. Practice, you’ll get the hang of it.

tscottme and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Alley dock backs are fun. I just did one. But blindside? Lol

What another poster said. You pull brakes and stick your head out passenger side for a quick lookie.

If trucks next to you have drivers sitting up front you can let them know what you're about to do. They'll probably offer to help.

tscottme Thanks this.
  4. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    What's the backing maneuver called where you swing the front of your trailer the whole way and the rear doesn't move much at all?

Is that the alley dock or something else?

I've done that one a few times if there's stuff in the way of doing the standard setup. Few times I've tried it, seems to work out pretty good.

5. Waterman_99

Waterman_99 Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    Dont oversteer. Little bit at a time woth the steering wheel and dont feel pressured to go too fast. You want to stay nice and controlled.

ibcalm19 Thanks this.
  6. N00bLaLoosh

N00bLaLoosh Road Train Member

May 13, 2021
    Novi, MI
    That's called the F your tires up maneuver.

VinceBlack and TravR1 Thank this.
  7. fairshake

fairshake Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Chickenville, BFE
    Definitely right mirror adjust to see the right side in wider view, I'll generally one shot most blindside backs using this. GOAL when it's a tight one.

8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    See thread called "BLIND".

9. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    I wish I could remember so i could tell you. I used to blind side in a day cab every day to park at the company yard. The trucks were packed in there mirror to mirror and from the front of the parked trucks to the wall was only 40-50 feet. Took 10 years off and I'm now in a truck with a sleeper and man am I fighting it. I have runs every week were I have to jack knife to get in a spot then straighten out as I back in.

I'm not great at it yet but here is some of the advice that's helped me so far.
    GOAL.. of course
    Setup is key (Mine suck, but getting better and so will yours)
    Get back under the trailer as soon as you can (meaning get straight)
    It's easier to fix cutting it wide then under cutting it.
    Don't be afraid to admit that what you're doing just isn't working and pull forward and try again.
    Don't let others rush you.
    Watch others and see what works.

I'm slow compared to the guys that regularly do it but it still takes them a bunch of wiggling and pull-ups to get in too. We'll both get there it just takes time and practice.

tscottme Thanks this.
  10. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    I tried looking up just Blind by itself but I didn't find the thread with backing advice. Do you have a link. Please & Thank you.

11. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    Fortunately, I've only had to blind side things a couple times.I don't have any secrets or tricks. I just take it easy, take my time and get out and look numerous times.
    That said, in many situations what looks like a blindside can be made to be a regular back instead. If you have enough maneuvering room. It's all in the set up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.