Blocking a fifth wheel for an End Dump? How do you do it?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Daycabinit, Feb 10, 2019 at 11:29 PM.

1. Daycabinit

Daycabinit Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2016
    I’m setting my truck up for an end dump, it has a fontain fifth wheel I’m looking for some suggestions on how to block it. If any one has some pics of there set up that would be much appreciated.

ChicagoJohn Thanks this.
  2. ETMF 58 White

ETMF 58 White Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2019
    There’s two ways to do it- the safe, legal, factory pinned fifth wheel plate, or the Billy Bob cobble-it-together method, of which there are hundreds of variations.

If you decide to modify yours, you are in luck with the Fontaine because the ones I have had were steel, not cast, and you could actually weld an ear on the plate. I’ll post a photo of one tomorrow. HOWEVER, the far better setup is the Holland factory pinned fifth wheel with removable pin that makes swapping between end dumps and regular trailers so much faster. That’s all I use now, if the voice of experience is worth anything to you. The downside is it’s going to set you back $1700 to $2500. But you won’t get a DOT violation with it, which you might with a Billy Bob job.

3. Daycabinit

Daycabinit Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Thanks for the info and pic I am going to work on it this week. I will post a pic of what I cobble together.

4. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
  • Draft saved Draft deleted