Blood pressure and DOT physical

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Houston_Driver311, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Houston_Driver311

Houston_Driver311 Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Question here wondering what I should do. I have always had blood pressure issues when doing DOT physical but do not have high blood pressure.

When I first got into the industry in 2015 I went to my starter company which gave me a physical and blood pressure was 145/93 so they gave me a 1 year medical card I asked him to take another reading but he would not do it. After 1 year was up I was not with the original company anymore and went to local urgent care where it was something like 150/110 and was given 3 month medical card after that got another 1 year medical card. Now going to a new company here next week that will want me to get medical card from their doc. Heres the thing though I dont have high BP, always when I go to my normal doctor it is 110/70 without any meds. Just have issues when doing DOT physical.

What to do?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    I have this exact issue. Maybe you can get your regular doctor to prescribe a short term blood pressure med to get you through the exam. Also ask if you can lie down a few minutes before the test. Close your eyes and think peaceful thoughts. It's frustrating I know. Mine goes up only on DOT physicals. Other than that it is normally 120/70. Best wishes!

4. Txdriver77

Txdriver77 Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Texas
    local urgent cares are ripoffs and will falsely your results. the examiner is supposed to let you rest 15 minutes between readings.

5. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Do you have white coat syndrome? Fear of going to the doctor. Also, no caffine 24 hours before.

I know this is eaiser said than done, but don't focus on that. Take deep breaths while waiting. Play solitare or listen to something relaxing on your phone.

Also, if it is high again I woul consult with your doctor.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    145/93?

You should not have gotten a year care, but a 3 month with doctor's intervention to mitigate it.

Don't care what you get at your docs, it doesn't count at all.

UsualSuspect Thanks this.
  7. gentran

gentran Light Load Member

May 21, 2016
    Someone said that if you donate blood the day before it will lower your blood pressure. Dont know if it works.. beets are supposed to lower blood pressure, tried em once pickled....yuck

8. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    Theres a website called "Natural News.Com"
    In the search box - top rt. side - type in "high blood pressure."
    This Mike Adams guy searches for natural cures, remedys, and herbals around the globe, excellent researcher, and if this worked for me,
    well, you know the rest. Potassium rich foods, NO salt, Hibiscus Tea.
    There's many more to customize to your likes and tastes.
    Plus he has a lot of other interesting things in there for your edification.
    I like baked potatoes, so the "potassium" part was like candy for me.

9. Driver91

Driver91 Medium Load Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Mix apple cider vinegar in a drink 1-2 times a day about a week before. Like a tablespoon. It's kinda bad if u mix in water but something like apple juice it ain't to bad. I got completely off blood pressure meds doing this 2 times a day. Cleans your kidneys out too. A dr told me to do this after a kidney stone. Haven't had another stone either and he said it would help Bp and it has.

scythe08 and rolls canardly Thank this.
  10. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    If you are prescribed and taking any medication for it, even short term, you must disclose it to the examiner. My no was right above the thresh hold by a point or two. I had to go get some pills to drop it down. Got a 1 year med card. I actually have to renew it next week. I'm not on the pills anymore, so I'm going to try and get it without them thos time

11. WNCPETE

WNCPETE Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Lakeland, Fl.
    During My last physical my bp was a little high and the Dr had me lay on my left side. When he retook it about 10 minutes later it was down 10 on the top and 4 on the bottom.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.