Blood Pressure

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Frank Burns, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Frank Burns

Frank Burns Light Load Member

Jun 2, 2019
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Ok... Talking with the wife about this, she has worked in the medical industry for 20+ years. She tells me that a doctor can go to a DEA website and pull up every prescription you have ever been prescribed (lovely).

But...

She also said that her doctors never check the DEA site unless a patient is asking for controlled substance pain pills/meds. One of the biggest red flags for those type of people they check is if the person is out of town (living in Mesquite TX and going to a Fort Worth TX clinic) or if they are private pay.

So it sounds like a DOT doctor can dig into your prescription history if they want to. If they go to those extremes though, who knows? It may all depend on the doctor?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Mine has been high for a few yrs now, I did some gimmicks, and passed my last physical. I always had perfect BP until recently. I had just started taking meds, and was set for a stress test, where they shoot the dye to check for blockages. So instead had a heart attack. 5 days of pain comin and going. Finally went in when it got real bad.They called it the Widow maker, 100% blockage. 20 minutes and it was fixed, 2 days later, sent home with a couple more meds.I guess I’m lucky to be alive. Otherwis I feel about the same as usual. It was nowhere near what I had expected and feared. Given my family history and lifestyle it was inevitable. Best to catch a blockage before damaging the heart muscle. I knew all that, from family members experience. Just waited too long. Good Luck, don’t fear the Dr. it’s really not that bad.

tscottme Thanks this.
  4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Don't show up at the doctor 300 pounds overweight, sweating, and your breathing sounds like you have daytime apnea everytime yo inhale. You want to appear healthy enough and pass the exam. You don't have to be an Olympic athelete, just just don't want to cause the doctor to question the results he measured. Either the govt or your insurance company can find out anything they measured.

Rideandrepair and Frank Burns Thank this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    It depends, some are so worried about being held responsible, it’s up to them, when a medical issue is involved. They have the choice of 3 mo. 6 mo. 1 yr or 2 yr. I’ve read some Guidelines for Drs., but I’m pretty sure it’s only suggested, not required.

tscottme and Frank Burns Thank this.
  6. Frank Burns

Jun 2, 2019
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Good grief! I'm glad you survived that.

I'm starting to get worried now, not about the DOT exam, my health in general since my BP is higher than it should be.

What's that saying... "If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself"

Man... getting old sucks.

tscottme and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I agree, but it beats the alternative, Lol

Frank Burns Thanks this.
  8. Frank Burns

Jun 2, 2019
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Right!

Wife was telling me her clinic used to do DOT physicals but it got to be such a pain in the keester with regulations and required training that the doctors finally said to heck with it, not worth all the trouble.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  9. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Mikey Mantle was a Hall of Fame NY Yankee. His family history was one of the men dying by 40 or 50. He also earned a reputation in NY of drinking hard, chasing ladies. Mikey Mantle said that.

Your BP is closer to borderline than a big problem. And even if it;s not lower you can get a 1 year card. Even if you can only get the 1 year card, it's no real obstacle to working at good and great companies. Make changes, but don't add worry.

10. Frank Burns

Jun 2, 2019
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Thanks Tscottme! You have been a great help here. Actually everyone posting on this thread has been a big help, I do appreciate it.

Much respect to all!

11. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    The top # needs to be @140 or lower to pass. If higher ( like mine was) they gave me a 3 mo. So I lost a few lbs. cut caffeine, and got a 2 yr card. But BP soon returned to 160 or so. Anyway, it’s the silent killer, often caused by narrowing of arteries. My Grandmother Had BP since her 30s, being obese, never smoked or drank, but lived to 90, so it’s very easily treatable.Like I Said, I’ve learned it’s not to be feared, best to get checked out to avoid further complications. I’ve since ran into a few Drivers that had the same thing I did, 20+ yrs ago, it’s not the end of the world. Just an adjustment.

Frank Burns Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.