Blower not working

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Gedas429, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Gedas429

Gedas429 Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2015
    Hello, my 06 volvo vnl front blower topper working. Could it be the motor or speed controlling switch?
    Also how can I check either one? And how hard is it to replace the blower motor?
    Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Could be either one.
    Start with the simple stuff first... check your fuses and relays.
    The switch, you remove it, determine which input is for power, which is for ground, then you run a continuity test with a digital multimeter.
    The blower motor... expose it and unplug it. You can take a test light or Power Probe and verify that you have power going to the blower motor... to verify that your ground is intact, you'd want to use something like a Power Probe or "logic tester" style of test light. If you don't have power, and your fuses and relays checked out, and your switch checked out, then it's a matter of tracing wires. If you do have power, then you supply power to the blower motor itself (because, even though you have power, you might have insufficient current at the intended source, still), and if it doesn't respond, you know your blower's bad.
    As for how to access it on the Volvo, I'll leave that to someone in the know... I could tell you how if it was a KW, but I've never had to do this on a Volvo.

4. Gedas429

Gedas429 Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2015
    Thank you for the response! I will try all those things thanks again

5. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    Blower is PWM controlled from Climat Unit. There is motor PWM driver, it is mounted on C-shaped radiator, speed is controlled with n-channes MOSFET, try to solder in new one

6. mrtrdrvr

mrtrdrvr Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Indian River ,MI
    To get to the blower on a 2nd gen volvo remove the right dashboard panel. You'll need to remove the grab handle first and one of the dash panel mounting bolts is under the right hand speaker cover. Once the panel is off you'll be looking at a black plastic box for lack of a better word. Your fan is inside that box at the bottom. Remove a bunch of those little metal clips with a small prying tool being careful not to distort them because you'll reuse them to put it back together. Drop the bottom part off and the blower IIRC will slide out.

7. RubyEagle

RubyEagle Medium Load Member

Apr 17, 2010
  8. Jooeugen

Jooeugen Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2021
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.