Blue Beacon

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dave_in_AZ, Jun 16, 2018.

1. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    The engine and that undercarriage wash, especially after running through all of that road salt and chemicals, can save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

stwik and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    I asked about the undercarriage this afternoon when I got a wash but that one I was at didn't have it.

Just assumed in an area that gets snow and whatnot during the winter they all would... shows ya what I know.

stwik and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I learned an important lesson at BB last week. I had just finished a run to SLC from California and back. It was snowing and my new truck needed a bath to get all of the slush crud off. Went to the BB in Fernley NV and paid $125 for the works, including the wheel polish. My truck has lug and hub caps, which are basically just cheap stamped sheet metal with a chrome finish. Truck looked great. Hopped in my truck the other day and glanced down at the wheels. Every single lug and hub cap is rusting. The BB wash stripped whatever protective coating there was off of them and they are all covered with rust. You would think BB would know this and warn you about it. I'm PO'd.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  5. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    That citrus stuff they hype?

6. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Not really sure. I just said to go ahead with the wheel "cleaning". They covered the wheels with tarps as they washed the truck. I assume it was a very acidic liquid that they didn't want washing off for a few minutes. Whatever it was, it completely etched my hub and lug covers. The wheels are brand new, and didn't need an etching. Had I known, I would have said no.

7. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    If rust on those parts. I would tend to blame cheap chrome first. BB covers the wheels because of polished aluminum wheels. Their stuff will affect those wheels if they don’t.

I pulled into the BB in Ok. City last night at around 7. Only one other truck there. Pulled right up and in. Got in the office. Told them I thought I was in the Twilight Zone. Looking around for Rod Serling.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  8. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    The BB in Elpaso is out standing . The BB that do wheel dressing yr around are my favorites.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    My lug and hub covers are stamped plastic with chrome finish. Comes out great everytime.

I noticed the always cover the wheels and rims as well during the wash.

Haven't paid much attention to the rest of it, other than making sure the engine area is clean.

I've tried two other places aside from BB.

Danny's in Phoenix, which is the hugest rip off in the history of the world, and that place by Petro in Reno. They did a half ### job.

Long live the Beacon.

4mer trucker Thanks this.
  10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    At the Los Angeles Blue Beacon several days ago, the dude tried his best to up-sell me on no fewer than 5 different services. I guess he mistook me for Jeff Bezos.

11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Have you ever considered that's part of dude's job description?

I wonder how often he thinks " This guy looks like a real pleasant sob."

4mer trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.