Bobtail Insurance

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by muthertrucker210, Jan 18, 2018.

1. muthertrucker210

muthertrucker210 Bobtail Member

Feb 3, 2016
    I know this is going to come off super newbie, but I'm asking for some info on new insurance. I am looking at 3 different companies to lease to and all require bobtail/non trucking liability insurance. So after hearing several people say call progressive as they are cheap and easy to deal it.

I just hung up the phone with them and I'm a lil stuck. I have been told if I need just bobtail then I need a contract from the company stating they are providing the general liability for the truck and trailer while pulling loads. Well to get a contact with the company I must take the truck to the yard and have it gone thru by their mechanics, and I must have my cab card along with registration.

Problem is to get the cab card and registration and legally move the truck I must have insurance in place. To start a policy with progressive as personal liability, meaning without the contract from a company stating they provide the general liability its $1900 down and $650 a month vs bobtail @ $100 down and $50 a month.

Do I look at another company or what is my best route?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PoleCrusher

PoleCrusher Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    Call a broker, not an insurance company. A broker can shop at hundreds of insurance companies, and they will know who has the best rates at any given time for a given geographical area.

And, you can get a temporary coverage, usually 5-7 days, to get to orientation or whatever.

csmith1281, TallJoe and whoopNride Thank this.
  4. Mcjweb1

Mcjweb1 Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2018
    What broker do u use thx

csmith1281 Thanks this.
  5. muthertrucker210

Feb 3, 2016
    Ok if I was to go with classic truck insurance 30 day temp, could I use that to get my cab card and registration to get all legal for the leasing company. I mean, that temp insurance will have my name as the insured?

And Mr Crusher, if I called a broker they are just able to point me in the direction for the insurance agent, not help with getting actual insurance.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get all my ducks in a row. Appreciate the help

6. PoleCrusher

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    Most states when you get your IRP, you sign a financial responsibility document. As long as you have proper insurance in place for whatever you're doing its all good.

A broker is or employs independent insurance agents, who represent multiple insurance companies. They generally all represent mostly the same companies, with some variance. An independent agent's job is to represent you. A captive (employed by one company) agent represents the company they work for.

Get 2 or 3 quotes, check the claims paying ability of the insurers, go with the best rate from an A or better rated company.

Really you should have your own plates and insurance, and not use the company's you lease to.

A good tip here... Use the search feature in the forums, most questions have already been answered.

csmith1281 and muthertrucker210 Thank this.
  7. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    OOIDA may help you buy a temp bobtail pol. from them before you are leased on to a co. plus if you buy bobtail from co. you are leased on to when you quit or leave for any reason you will louse your bobtail insur. and will have no way to drive home with insur.?

8. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    If your leasing to a carrier they should be able to send you a temp tag and insurance coverage. If they lease on lots of trucks they should have all the answers.
    You are not the first to have this problem.

csmith1281 Thanks this.
  9. muthertrucker210

Feb 3, 2016
    Well what I ran into with the company is they require the bobtail, cab card, and registration prior to their mechanic doing an inspection before offering to lease on. This is my first rodeo, so idk if that is standard procedure or not. But I did hear the same song from 3 companies I spoke with.

csmith1281 Thanks this.
  10. PoleCrusher

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    If you plan on getting it through them, how are you supposed to have it before you sign on?

11. muthertrucker210

Feb 3, 2016
    Lol good question. They will provide the cargo under their umbrella I think it the way to say it. I just have to carry bobtail all the time in case I’m not pulling their trailer. Which is no problem to me as I plan on haveing BT and physical damage anyway.

That was how it was explained to me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.