Bobtail on a little trailer

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by tucker, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Yes and no.

The door sticker is relevant in many cases. However, some states and some DOT officers do not consider manufactures door stickers. Although, I agree they should be considered, some states have no regulations to do so. Other DOT officers are unaware of the door sticker or how to use the regs. in regard to them. Just saying.

Secondly a lot of pick ups don't have door stickers. I have a 3/4 ton and 1ton Cab and Chassis that have none. While it is likely the 3/4 got ripped off the 1 ton just says it was a incomplete vehicle with no ratings. Again, just saying.

No not at all.

If you are over tire rating; that is a ticket. If you are over axle rating; that is a ticket. If you are over, coupler rating that is a ticket. And all those tickets can be out of service ratings also.

I have seen no door sticker on a pick-up (class 3-4) that has a GCWR. Maybe you have one, I don't. Only axle ratings and GVWR. No trailer weight rating given, on door stickers for these trucks. While manufactures give trailer ratings in there sales literature and owners manuals it is not on the door or subject to DOT scrutiny. What axles you have on a trailer matter.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I will take the looks over the weight savings any day.

4. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    @mjd4277 Are you getting your bobtail weights with the trailer still attached to the truck? If so that is NOT a bobtail weight. The bobtail weight is the truck without a trailer.[/QUOTE] Nope. All of our bobtail weights are NO TRAILERS ATTACHED- some shippers specifically require it(Anheuser-Busch,RockTenn/WestRock especially require us to do this).

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I was replying to this:

6. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Our heaviest truck is a 2010 t800 with 46k rears, 20k steer and 20k drop with a APU and headache rack full of chains. This truck is a lot heavier than any Freightshaker or Volvo you are driving. It is also a longer wheelbase and partial double frame and it weighs in at 27k full of fuel. Oh and it is running 425s on the steer and drop.

There is no possible way you are driving a 3 axle truck that weighs that much pulling a box. You would have no room for cargo. Might work for paper towels. Maybe your sleeper and cab are all made of stainless steel but I doubt that too.

I will still take the looks... LOL

There is now way a freightshaker or volvo weighs more than our kenworths. Like I said earlier is has to be triple framed, tri drive with a CAT v12 to get to 34k.

Mudguppy and Dominick253 Thank this.
  7. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    I don't know what to tell you,maybe they use stamped steel in Virginia where they build the Volvos. The only plastic parts I could find was the hood,front bumper,side steps and aerodynamic fairings.And the versions we use are the XE models(eXceptional Efficiency).

8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Think of your math... If the Tractor alone weighed 35K the trailer would have to weigh 0 as a common 'rule of thumb' max weight of a van load is 45k..
    Estimate a trailer is 10k (or so) and that puts a tractor at about 25k
    If you keep weigh in just bobtail at 35k you really need to clean out your truck, or go on a major diet. :)

-Steven

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  9. Slowpoke KW

Slowpoke KW Road Train Member

Dec 7, 2015
    OK
    My w900l with the heavy ag100 suspension hooked to a combo 48' spread axle loaded with all my chains tarps and other crap running on Low pro 24.5s doesn't even weigh 32k. For 4 years I drove a 387 pulling paper spec 53'vans with tall 24.5 rubber on steel wheels we loaded 44-45k on them daily crossed state scales and were never over 80k. If a 387 weighed 32k bobtail there is no way in hell we could have done that. We also ran Columbia's, century's and a T800.

I think somebody needs a random!!!

10. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    I'm already on a diet,plus I've removed about 350 lbs of equipment out of the truck(getting ready to return the tractor).;)

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  11. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Another I forgot to mention is that most of the tractor fleet run on 22.5 LP tires(for fuel economy reasons). Same with the trailers but there are variables involved with those(make,model,suspension type,etc). The tractors use stock power trains depending on the manufacturer.

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.