Boredom busters for OTR

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ChancesRGood, May 26, 2018.

1. ChancesRGood

ChancesRGood Light Load Member

May 28, 2017
    what do you do when you are out of hours to drive and are bored...Im not much on sleep lately and I know I wont be able to haul more than the 10 hours and recap wise should keep to the 8-9 hrs driving.... so what to do with the rest of my time
    any ideas?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I'm fortunate in that I have satellite TV but otherwise will occasionally will stream movies and sitcom repeats. I prefer to listen to books either downloaded or streaming while driving, so I don't read other than web browsing. I prefer/need 8-9 hours of sleep time, myself.

Suspect Zero and joesmoothdog Thank this.
  4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    if you are at a truckstop, do your laundry, watch a movie, take a shower, do your paperwork, map out your next route, harass other drivers (on the cb) backing up, clean the interior of your truck, browse thru the store, order a meal, then walk out when the waitress walks away,

lots of stuff.

5. joesmoothdog

joesmoothdog Heavy Load Member

Aug 5, 2013
    OTR
    Eventually, sleep will become your friend. You'll have watched everything, played every game on your phone and will finally find your dreams more entertaining as time goes by. I wake up every day and keep getting closer to the conclusion that I've completely lost my marbles.

D.Tibbitt, Slim51, stwik and 4 others Thank this.
  6. ChancesRGood

May 28, 2017
    :) I was hoping for hobbies... I dont watch TV, movies, or play games. maybe I could learn to write ?? Maybe.. I dont have the attention span to knit crochet or the like

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Day Trading if you have a laptop computer.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    You will experience an awful lot in your first years out here, good, bad, and indifferent, especially if you run 48 OTR. You might find writing a "journal" of sorts to be rewarding and fulfilling. It could be for you, family, others thinking about trucking, or the general public consumption, depending how you might go about it.

Bring your camera. Plenty of photo ops out here, from behind the wheel and at some stops. If you're motivated enough, you can get near enough to other amazing photo op places with only a short walk or make a day trip out of it. I can't count how many small towns and cities I've driven through where I say to myself I'd love to have time and ability to stop and explore for a few hours or a day.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  9. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    jot down things that happened in your day (or) night.

i actually had a mini cassette recorder, that i had used, to read off the miles as i entered a state. that was safer, than trying to write as i drove.

so record what you see, or what happened, then write it down, sorta like a blog?

just beware...many states have hands free device laws. a cop could think, you are talking into your phone!!

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  10. ChancesRGood

May 28, 2017
    I think I might take a sketch book and pencils I was very good at sketching as a kid

NavigatorWife, Puppage and buddyd157 Thank this.
  11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    You should develop a comic strip that revolves around an OTR trucker and his dog.

Seriously. I'd do it myself but I'm just not creative enough in that way. Contract with Landlinemag or other trade rag to run either series sketches or single-sketch bits, then eventually to newspapers

Lepton1, NavigatorWife, Lav-25 and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.