Bought a new laptop.

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by MACK E-6, Aug 11, 2020.

1. jtaran06

jtaran06 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky

I wish they would let the iPad pros run macOS. Something similar to Samsung’s DEX.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    agreed... Intel has just hit a wall... which is a real shame... instead of their traditional Tick Tock Tick Tock release schedules, they’ve been on this Tick Tock Tock Tock let’s toss more cores at the issue phase for what 8 years now? Resulting in Apple not releasing new product as often as possible due to waiting on chips and once they get released everything hits thermal limits and either gets warm or slows down.

ya, those will be a no go for sure... interesting to look at things with 20/20 hindsight... they obviously thought this change was on the horizon for some time and made the switch from 32 to 64 to one, toss a wrench into all other phone makers, but two, prep everyone for this change too. Merging both Mac and iDevices to 64 and pushing that issue to avoid it now.

I tend to shy away from the bleeding edge of tech myself but it would be nice to hop on this train a bit earlier... just have to see what they announce first.

4. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Never know what they will do... but I can envision issues arising where not everyone would be thrilled with that combo too... but ya, never know now that we know the base silicone will do the job... might have other issues with the amount of ram needed, hard drive issues, fans for cooling that make that impractical.

but, who knows...

jtaran06 Thanks this.
  5. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Yeah no CD drive is common now. Data isn't stored on physical media anymore. It's all stored in large databases owned by large corporations and you download it over the web ad-hoc when you decide you want to view or listen. YouTube is the best example here. You connect to YouTube and watch what you want to watch without having to give up any storage. Netflix is another example.

CD ROM storage devices are already ancient technology.

6. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    An online store in Canada, founded by Linus, a Canadian. Linus is known for reviewing tech on YouTube.

He definitely has some talent, but I can't help but think maybe he took his name from Linus Torvalds, a tech pioneer who gave is the Linux OS, a free OS available to anyone, and is now a decent competitor to Windows even if you don't know that much about tech, it wouldn't take that long to figure out how to use it.

It's one of those things Windows has on lock down because it's a trusted name. We pay to have Windows on our computers. Most people don't know Linux is free and now it's about as easy to use as Windows mostly. The command line is different, but most people don't ever use that.

NightWind and MidWest_MacDaddy Thank this.
  7. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    linux has been an efficient, solid os for decades. i remember dealing with it back in the quake tf days.

NightWind and MidWest_MacDaddy Thank this.
  8. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    And it's secure, not prone to virus attack. But in the last decade it's become easier to use for non technical types. You can install and play games now with little to no configuration. If you were a non technical type way back when it came out then you just wouldn't get it to work, or you would spend hours researching.

Now Linux is a lot like Windows, you can just install stuff and it will work. There will be a few things you would have to learn, but it's not nearly as bad as it used to be.

Different flavors of Linux will be better for certain tasks, also. If I remember right, Ubuntu is best for gaming. My favorite was Mint. OpenSUSE had the best office applications..

That was a while ago. I don't know how things have change recently. I haven't been keeping up.

MACK E-6 and MidWest_MacDaddy Thank this.
  9. zaroba

zaroba Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    South East PA
    Bought windows 10 a while ago, it shipped on a USB drive.

10. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    You do know that the biggest sponsor of Linux is.....................................Microsoft......?

roshea Thanks this.
  11. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    The operating system itself is a bit different because that has to already be installed before you can pull anything from the cloud.

I have an Acer Predator Helios 500 and it came with Windows already installed. Everything on my laptop that came after that came from the interwebs. Never plugged a CD or USB in my laptop to install or watch anything.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.