Bought my 2nd truck!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by dztruck, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    My condolences.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    New Hampshire
    I can’t believe people won’t work for that. I’m an owner operator and I don’t pay myself as well as y’all are talking about. I’m home every night though. People just plain don’t want to work.

roshea, feldsforever and dztruck Thank this.
  4. dztruck

dztruck Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2017
    I get the feeling that drivers want o/o pay and if they want they should go that route, see how easy it is. Theres always someone unhappy or thinking they deserve more, its how people are. But theres a point where i think people are just entitled because they heard so and so trucker guy made this much therefore i should get the same pay.

OldeSkool Thanks this.
  5. Eldiablo

Eldiablo Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2016
    No. There are jobs that might not pay hardly that good but they are home everyday and only work 8 hours. Plus full benefits. Thats why people wont do it. Yes you will find some that will but they are few and far between.

6. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    New Hampshire
    Local, 8 hour days paying that?? I’ll sell my truck and go to work for them. I’ve sure never heard of that. 14 hour days sure but not 8.

dztruck Thanks this.
  7. Eldiablo

Jul 15, 2016
    Reading is a good thing

8. dztruck

dztruck Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Well that proves Oldeskool’s point, some people just dont want to work, even if its paying more. They want to do 8 hours n go home, and thats fine too. OTR pays more generally, but nobody wants to do that it seems.

9. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    Pay your driver 40% of gross after fuel and tolls. Use a percentage so when the rates how down. Your not paying more out of pocket to cover their" flat income salary"
    Pay your driver a w-2. To avoid a bunch of bull malarkey. Plus all taxes will be close to being covered. Do not use paychex. ( atleast the maine branch) I hate them more than I do my ex farther in law.
    Pay your driver per diem. Pay your driver bi weekly. Give fuel saving bounus every 90 days.
    Tell driver, Sorry at this time I don't offer mefical.
    Your driver will still bring home 55 to 72 a year depending on rates and where you book your loads.
    You on the other hand will not. Because said driver is splitting fuel and tolls. But you have all the other bills.
    The last man I worked for does this. And in would say 80% of the time his five trucks where moving. Getting some one to respect and take care of your truck like you do or would will be the hard part.
    Don't advertise home weekly. Unless you learn they live near a big city. This will leave some sour.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  10. Eldiablo

Jul 15, 2016
    Why would someone want to work more if they dont have to? So i guess retired people are lazy too?? Makes about as much sense. Id rather have a life than work my life away but everyones different. I will say i can get a yard spotter job for 25/hr plus overtime with full benefits if i wanted too. Guy has offered but i turn it down. Its not what i want to do so i guess im lazy too.

11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    There are a few local jobs that pay better then otr. Most don't.

I'd live to have 40 hour weeks.

I can't say I love my job but it's the first one in my whole working career I actually get full weekends off.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.