Boyd Road Test

Discussion in 'Boyd' started by w4cdw, Mar 26, 2013.

1. w4cdw

w4cdw Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Chattanooga, TN
    Well I am heading to orientation on 4/1. Had a question about the road test. Spoke to a trucker from another flatbed company (one I was interested in) and discovered this person used to work for Boyd. He like the company blah blah, but told me alot of people fail the road test. The reason he says is Boyd does not want you downshifting unless absolutely necessary. He tells me they don't want that because it uses too much fuel. So instead he tells me to "coast" in gear to a stop with or without the clutch engaged.

So was he feeding me a line of bull? I mean I was taught to downshift to a stop, not to coast (out of gear out of control). Any help would be nice, thank you guys!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jonrulerofearth

Jonrulerofearth Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Hueytown, Al
    Stay calm and listen to the person in the passenger seat. do what they ask and all should work out. when comming to a stop, stay in gear & down shift as the speed and engine call for it. In other words, do not down shift to slow down, use the brakes and shift properly. This will save fuel. Good luck

4. MiFamilyGuy

MiFamilyGuy Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2012
    That's good info to have. I got a pre-hire from them. Trying to decide between Boyd and Tandem.

5. rda2580

rda2580 Heavy Load Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Lower Michigan
    Both sound like good choices keep posting so we know how it goes for you and the offer for starting out.

6. MiFamilyGuy

MiFamilyGuy Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Boyd offered .43/mile plus tarp pay and fuel bonus. Tandem offered .42/mile and didn't specify tarp pay or fuel bonus. I actually took a local job pulling various farm products. I'll be using my tanker and doubles endorsements. It's worth a try to see if I can pay the bills and come home to my family at night. If it doesn't work out I'll probably go with Boyd because they have the cheaper insurance premiums and coverage starts after 30 days.

rda2580 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.