Brake for clean receive?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by QuietStorm, Sep 12, 2017.

1. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    I don't know what is going on but for some reason when my foot is on the brake the static in my receive goes away but as soon as my foot comes of it comes back. Unrelated to RPMs as well.

What could it be?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    The static is being caused by what is referred to as " rolling static" as it originates from the steer tires/hubs and it is obviously worse when driving and almost is absent when applying the brakes. It will also change with different road surfaces and disappear when road is wet, there have been a couple of articles on other forums where it was recommended to add small amount of graphite powder to hub oil and it will eliminate the static or drag rubber bungee straps or commercially made ground straps to eliminate the static.

QuietStorm and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  4. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Static should disappear on rainy days also.

QuietStorm Thanks this.
  5. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    In the last 10 years I have been in 3 Volvos, 2 Cascadias, and now a T680 and for whatever reason the Volvos were the worst, really didnt have much of a problem with the Cascadias or the T680 that I am currently driving, and also in the Volvos it didnt matter if the antenna being used was a fiberglass whip or a steel whip , there wasnt a significant difference.

QuietStorm Thanks this.
  6. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    My favorite truck is the Volvo 770 and 880. Best radio performance happened in that truck probably partially because of the steel body.

QuietStorm and wolverine11 Thank this.
  7. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Hmm I see, I've never heard of it before but it makes sense. Where am I supposed to attach the bungee/ground straps?

8. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    I see alot of trucks hang them below the driver side step, I have never tried it myself so cant say with any expertise whether or not it works.

QuietStorm Thanks this.
  9. Gadfly

Gadfly Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2006
    The straps may work, and all grounding suggestions are valid. There can be another source of static that is overlooked. How many lights do you have on the tractor and trailer? Sometimes engine static can be transmitted thru the electrical wiring and radiate onto the antenna itself. it sounds far-fetched, but it does happen. I had a '68 Chevy with engine static. I 'bout pulled my hair out looking for the noise:(. I tried everything I knew to stop it. You name it, I grounded it. I was stumped!:confused: One day I had the HF radio on and I came to a stop light. Like you, I pressed the brake & the noise stopped! Funny I hadn't noticed that before, but when I let off the brake the buzzing came back. Mash it again, it was completely quiet.

Back home, I removed the antenna and started the car. Quiet. What th........????:confused: It led to the discovery that the noise was being generated by the engine, getting on the tail/brake light wiring, and being transmitted to the back of the car, traveling on the harness, then transmitted onto the antenna which showed up in the receiver.

I went to the hardware store and got some plain old metal (not plastic) screen door wire, took the tail light lenses off and made a "grid" using the existing screws to ground the "screen" to the car body. It worked!:cool:

Whatever is causing YOUR noise, it sounds eerily like what happened to me 35 years ago. To see if it is tire/bearing/hub noise, or engine noise, and if its safe to do so, find a hill and kill the engine. This will let you see if it is tire/hub noise or engine static. Don't do this with this big vehicle unless you can safely get away with it. Don't want you running away or getting into an accident. Concentrate on any running lights/trailer lights that are near the antenna, on the tractor OR the van.

Anyway its just another thing to look at. Who knows, that might be the problem. IF it isn't, you'll know. ;)

GF

wolverine11 Thanks this.
  10. hayseed

hayseed Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2011
    The Natural State
    You might try a small piece of stainless steel cable attached to the frame and allowed to drag like the bungee straps mentioned in the above posts. I attached mine to the bottom shock mount bolts and allowed only about 1/2 inch to "drag" It eliminated 90% of the static

wolverine11 Thanks this.
  11. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    Is this why a lot of guys have a bunch of half bungees on their steps? I don't recall them dragging just hanging there.

Snailexpress Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.