braking on big mountains...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by elharrison, Feb 8, 2008.

1. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    That's it, thanks numbers. I thought I was going senile. :) Dam one letter.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. THBatMan8

THBatMan8 Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Wherever I park
    Even with ABS, it's still possible to lock up the wheels; which is why schools still teach stab braking.

And yes, I agree that not all grades are the same. I can go down Donner's all day long without ever needing to touch the service brakes. I-70 eastbound into Denver, I'll need to use the 3/5 rule or snub braking as others call it.

Many truckers get problems when they don't pre-select the correct gear at the top of the hill. Instead of save a horse and ride a cowboy it's save the brakes and ride the transmission. :biggrin_25522:

mtnMoma Thanks this.
  4. 07-379Pete

07-379Pete Crusty Commando-Pete

Oct 3, 2008
    Campbellsville, Ky
    Depending on what hill I'm going over what I do is have a set speed and when I get 5 over hit the brakes and go 5 under.
    Say I want to do 35, when its gets to 40 hit the brakes till I'm running 30. These new Cat brakes hold back better and it takes a while to get back to 40 giving the brakes time to cool.
    Never smoked a brake doing it this way.

5. Yatista

Yatista Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Upstate New York
    My method is using the snub or "controlled" braking with a small twist. On my 3rd braking in my chosen gear I brake down to the next lower gear. The pattern continues until I am close to the bottom. This helps compensate for different weights, different tractors, and other variables.

6. Mud Dog

Mud Dog Tattooed & Insane - Forum Sparkler

Dec 8, 2009
    Devil's Land, kentucky
    IDK its actual name but I26 there's a few of us that call it Mt Everest : biggrin_2557: it takes forever to get up and better take forever
    And a day to get down. There's a sign on top the says Top of the World. Ill agree with ya on it. Blacky tho its a nice puff don't get me wrong but I'd call green river gorge in SC over it.

7. Mud Dog

Mud Dog Tattooed & Insane - Forum Sparkler

Dec 8, 2009
    Devil's Land, kentucky
    Its kinda outta the way but what about NC226A from Spruce Pine to US 221 in Marion? Idk the grade but 15 mph limit. I never measured it but heard its only 3 miles but its the longest 3 miles I ever drove.

8. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Speaking of smoking brakes.:biggrin_2555: Why don't the truck companies install a heat gauge sensor for brakes?

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  9. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Actually they are the same....names are different due to regional "monikers".

10. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Green river is the one on I-26 the other side of Asheville?

11. Frenzy

Frenzy Medium Load Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    umm, well no.

stab and snub braking are completely different.

stab braking is used to try to maintain directional control on a slick surface while slowing down. Basicly what an ABS system should do. The main issue with stab braking is running the air pressure down.

snub braking is used to maintain a control speed on a downgrade.

jlkklj777 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.