Breakdown pay

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by windsmith, Apr 7, 2012.

1. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    So tell me, why is OTR breakdown pay so low? Why should the driver have to suffer financially because the company's equipment failed?

What I'm seeing is that while a few companies offer breakdown pay, it only takes effect after the first 24 hours, and it's some ridiculous amount usually less than $100 per 24 hour period.

By my calculations, at 0.30 / mile, a driver will lose $165 in mileage pay per day, based on a 550 mile day. Plus, the driver must find lodging and food since he's been evicted from his home while it's in the shop.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pegasus

Pegasus Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2011
    in the universe
    At Maverick, the driver finds the motel he/she will have to stay in but (and here is the caveat!) Fleetnet pays for the motel each night that the driver needs it due to a breakdown. Last time that hubby was broke down in his former truck, he got $88.00 breakdown pay. His other breakdown pay was $176.00 so I am thinking that $88.00 is the per day rate. I think he said he was able to take his cooler with him to the hotel while he was out of the truck due to breakdown so he lost nothing on the food side of things.

4. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Or when the dealer wants to milk out the job for as long as it can. :biggrin_25510: $warranty work$

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    You think the carrier is not losing money while that $160k worth of equipment sits idle? They are losing much more money than you. It's part of any business where breakdown and weather affect productivity. Construction workers don't get paid either when they are rained out.

If you find yourself spending too much time in the shop, perhaps you need to look for another truck or another carrier. But with the new requirements imposed by your friendly EPA and CA, expect this problem to get worse before it gets better.

6. Pegasus

Pegasus Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2011
    in the universe
    As you will notice, I noted that hubby's breakdown pay was when he was in his former truck, he is now in a new reliable truck.

7. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Originally breakdown/layover pay was to pay drivers expenses while he was broke down/layed over. It's not meant to have him make money while he sits there, just eat/sleep and keep his head above water. Welcome to trucking.

Gizmo_Man and aiwiron Thank this.
  8. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    at conway you eat the first hour, then you get your hourly pay till someone comes out. Made $70 like that for over 3 hrs waiting for a tow truck

9. dude6710

dude6710 Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2010
    MN
    you also get per diem if avail.

10. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Why you ask,because companies can get away with it.It's not right I know.They're way of thinken is,you don't like it then quit I have another driver waiting for your trk.

11. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    KLLM pays $50 for each of the first two days then $100 a day thereafter. But they also pay for the room and taxi to and from.

Sure it is not the full wage possible but I think it is fair.

Mikeeee

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.