Breathalyzer/blood test options

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by maxwelltie, Jun 4, 2010.

1. maxwelltie

maxwelltie Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Brookings, OR
    I guess it depends on the juristiction.
    I don't drink, so I'm not worried. However, several years ago, I was stopped for suspicion of DUI (California), passed the field sobriety test, but when asked to do the breathalyzer test, I opted for the blood test. My cost.
    I had not been drinking, and knew I would be fine, but my lawyer had told me long ago NEVER do a breathalyzer test if I can opt for a blood test.
    Blood tests results are written in stone. Breath tests can be way off, but in california, if you blow dirty on a breathe test, you don't have an option to do a blood test. It's one or the other.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dieselbear

dieselbear Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008

Breath test when done on the intoximeter or any other machine nowadays can not be way off. The old days, yes I will agree 25-30 years ago. The new machines internally check and calibrate themselves and have all kinds of checks. In over 13 years I have never seen one that is off. When you see the psycophysical impairment that indicates the amount of impairment that you see with the intoximeter result. The portable preliminary breath test machines, yes can be off if there is mouth residual alcohol. However this is why you usually wait 20 minutes to give it. By the time a intoximater is run, it is usually 1 hr later anyway by the time you get from roadside to the station/barrack/troop. Besides some State's will not offer blood test to you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.