Brief static after receiving transmissions

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Windmill Hill, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Windmill Hill

Windmill Hill Light Load Member

May 26, 2019
    Central Indiana
    I've noticed after someone ends their TX that there is a real quick period of static. Almost as irritating as some roger beeps. Do I need to add ferrite beads to each end of the coax? I haven't tried swapping radios or any process of elimination since the weather's been changing. Just hoping it's a quick fix.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Is this a new radio? or is it one you been using a while. This is really a strange problem. I’m sure ferrite beads won’t solve it. Have you added a new electronic device to your truck lately? If you did, you’ll have to go through the process of elimination to figure it out.

Windmill Hill Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    What radio do you have?

5. Windmill Hill

May 26, 2019
    Central Indiana
    It's a President McKinley with a Sirio Turbo 5000 roof mounted on my personal vehicle. However, I took I-65 home this morning and talked to a few drivers and had no problems whatsoever. It must be just a few of the radios in the company Mack's that are causing it. They aren't very good setups to begin with and most of the drivers don't bother to do anything but throw a radio in them and off they go. I'll double check tonight when I go in.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Just wondering is the squelch set or is it wide Open?

7. Windmill Hill

May 26, 2019
    Central Indiana
    It has the new ASC (Automatic Squelch Control) but I don't always use it. I also run with the rf gain turned all the way up. That may be it as well.

8. Central_Scrutinizer

Central_Scrutinizer Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2019
    Can't comment on President's choice of automatic squelch circuit, but having a manually set squelch that is set too 'open' can cause a delay to close after receiving a transmission.

There is adjustment for the automatic squelch.
    SET: "AM Channel 20 Middle volume level. Squelch: CCW ASC: ON RF gain: MAX Fine Coarse: Center NB/ANL/HiCut: OFF "

ADJ: "Connect HF generator (27.205Mhz) to jack antenna adjusted at (-113dBm 1KHz mod 60%) and adjust RT101 so that the signal is audible."

If it's opening on less than 60% it might take longer to close.

From that, apparently it trips open on a constant % of average modulation rather than detecting speech syllables*. So it may be like the way a linear amp keying circuit works when set to SSB, having a slight delay to carry over between syllables as long as the average RF level is a certain amount.

Who knows.. on the diagram, the ASC is a blank box. secret sauce!

* a syllabic squelch won't stay open on a tone.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.