Bringing the pooch, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Mrh2008, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Mrh2008

Mrh2008 Road Train Member

May 25, 2012
    Mesa, AZ
    I've got a 15lb Shih Tzu named Gizmo. May or may not bring him along with me here at Melton. Do the pro's outweigh the con's? Opinions on animals in trucks would be appreciated. I like animals, but I'm not one of those "my dog is my kid" type people, and I really have no idea what it'll be like out on the road with him.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WorldofTransportation

WorldofTransportation Heavy Load Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Your mother
    If I was a dog and you took me in a truck after not doing it for my entire life I would crap on your pillow.. Trucks can be very tough on a person.. I can't imagine a dog having to live in one.. I would say no.. but it is your life and your pillow..

Sharps5090 Thanks this.
  4. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    It's very rewarding to have someone (meaning the dog) to share your life with on the road.

Giggles the Original Thanks this.
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Main thing is consider what happens when you put your truck in the shop for a half or full day ... Shop at home terminal, shops on the road, etc. This is probably the biggest issue, along with bathing and grooming issues they may or may not have. Also, when you need a hotel for a night or 2, it will inevitably be hard to find one that takes both trucks and pets. Will you have an APU to keep the truck warm/cool while you have lunch?

6. Charli Girl

Charli Girl Road Train Member

Mar 23, 2013
    Houston,Tx
    My baby went OTR for 8 years,BUT she's a 3lb chihuahua. :biggrin_255:

7. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I have never thought that having a pet in a truck is a good idea. There are more cons than pros. First off, I don't think that it is good to keep a pet cooped up all day. There will be the inevitable "accident." Many companies don't allow pets in their trucks. Some require a damage deposit. Some shippers don't allow pets on their property. You will need to make allowances to stop and take the pet for a walk. Hair can get into filters and your a/c system and that may require more frequent cleaning or maintenance. Hair tends to get all over everything. Having a pet could create some problems when you break down. Most carriers have no idling policies. During cold or hot temperatures, you will need to idle to keep your pet comfortable. A truck burns about a gallon of fuel an hour when idling. That is expensive for the carrier. No carrier wants their trucks to idle 24/7. If you are terminated, you will need to make arrangements for your pet. All in all, having a pet in a truck is a bad idea.

bigjoel and RickG Thank this.
  8. tracyq144

tracyq144 Heavy Load Member

Feb 15, 2009
    MN
    Sadly, I agree with G/MAN. I've been doing OTR for over 20 years and it does get lonely at times, I've often thought of getting some type of pet but it just does not compute, for me anyway.

Dog? Man, I don't want to get out of the truck, at ODARK30, when it's 30 below just so Fido can sniff around for 30 minutes finding just that PERFECT SPOT to make a deposit.

Cat? Love them, but I have never had a cat that enjoyed, much less tolerated, being in a moving vehicle. Maybe if they were introduced to it when a kitten?

Then I've thought of the "exotics" such as parrots, rats, ferrets, etc. All have negatives, that is if you give a rat's ### about the animal's comfort and not just your emotional needs.

Maybe an ant farm? Not much of an emotional reward there, though. ;(

Now, I know that a lot of people make it work, but I just see more cons than pros.

9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Smaller dogs especially toy breeds are obviously a better choice. Some dogs shed incessantly regardless of care and diet and could be a huge cleanliness issue inside the truck (large dogs particularly). But most dogs if they don't consume unusual amounts of water can go 12 hours between outings particularly at night.

10. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

Hubby and I team... Drove for almost a year with no pet... Fell in love with a puppy chihuahua... Now have him along... Yes there are challenges (shops, hotels etc as mentioned above) but the laughter, distraction (not from driving but from everyday concerns) entertainment and unconditional love makes it worth it!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  11. Palazon

Palazon Road Train Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    The idea of having a partner out here (who doesn't adjust my stereo and steal my smokes) seems like it would be worthwhile to me. The company I'm with is the 1st to allow pets, so I'm looking for a driving buddy at the local shelters.

CertifiedSweetie Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.