Bringing the pooch, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Mrh2008, Jul 18, 2013.

1. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    I have had a dog I took with me once for awhile and another time I tried a cat for a bit but I always came back to the same problem .....there is only room enough for one animal in my truck and this hog comes first !!!

I enjoyed their company but it wasn't enough for me to go through the walking and all the other things involved in having them with me .

I am out here to work not play around so I didn't feel it was fair to the pet to have to stay in the truck 23 and 3/4 hours a day !

I am the kind that doen't someone or something around me all the time though so I say if want to take it take it if ya don't then don't

EZ Money Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. coastie

coastie Road Train Member

Each side has their points it comes down to do you want to take the time to see after it needs. Smaller dogs easier true and I seen some with Large breeds. I did carry a min Beagle with me my last year of driving, and I did had a wire hair terrier that went years ago. They can keep you laughing. I hve made jokes on my Mini Beagle and a company that did not allow pets. He stayed in the truck out of sight out of mind. But when I was leaving I was on the phone with my boss making a joke that he was standing in the window near the scale at the plant giving them the finger for their pet policy, yet he stayed in his cage.

He made me laugh so many times and scared me at the same time. Little dog about the size of your fist trying to climb in the truck on his own. Almost made it too, lacked 1 foot to get in and fell backwards bouncing off each step. He got up and put his paws on the steps for me to pick him up and put him in.. But when I had to shut down due to health issue I was not able to walk him, he held his business till I could get him out. The pup knew I was in great pain. never did wimper to go out. I did name him a good name, after the trucker song Little Joe, so yes his name was Little Joe..

4. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    A truck is a place of business. I love dogs, but would never take one with me in a truck. For those who do plan on getting a dog or other pet, you may want to consider that your employment options may be limited due to the pet. Some carriers do allow pets with restrictions. What if you leave that company and the next one doesn't allow pets? Are you going to give up the new opportunity? Sneak the pet in the truck when away from the yard? If a company has a no pet policy and you put a pet in THEIR truck without permission, it is grounds for termination. That will cause problems with the next carrier when they ding your DAC. I see no difference between taking a pet in the truck and taking one to your office, manufacturing plant or retail store. Few, if any, allow pets in the workplace. Yet, we see some drivers who consider it their RIGHT to take a pet along on the road. Having a pet along may be a little company, but you might consider striking up a conversation with another driver at either a truck stop or on the CB. It costs nothing and is much better than you doing all the talking to a pet. I have yet to have a pet that can carry on an intelligent conversation. :biggrin_25512:

5. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    What does the dog do when you are at work? If it sits in a crate alone 9 hours a day he'd definitely be happier with his master wherever his master happens to be. Dogs are very social and just want to be with their master.

Trucks are a business and businesses need security/alarm systems. Canines are very good alarm systems.

6. Charli Girl

Charli Girl Road Train Member

Mar 23, 2013
    Houston,Tx
    My truck. My decision. You want the load,she comes first! PERIOD!

7. Nicaraguense

Nicaraguense Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Depending how you run, it may be fine. I bring my sister's poodle with me and he seems to like it. Whenever I am home and he is there at the yard with my sis he climbs up on the step of the truck like "let me in, lets go". It is great because you are forced to go out and walk them periodically. But when you are in a hurry it sucks because you are forced to go out and walk them so they dont poop in your truck. Great companionship. When you restart, you can go play with them. I also like that they make noise when people get near the truck.

Being that you work for Melton, if they let you have a pet, they will most likely not put you on a load that will have a pet. But I have been wrong before. You could always do a trial short run. The first few days are tough because of the noises and environment. But they seem to love all the new smells and territories to mark.

Oh yeah, depending on the breed, the hair becomes an issue. You may have to air out tge truck or vacuum every couple of days if the dog sheds alot.

8. Mrh2008

Mrh2008 Road Train Member

May 25, 2012
    Mesa, AZ
    I think I might give it a shot. See how it works out. Maybe. We all have APU's at Melton, so comfort isn't an issue. I think the pet deposit is $750 deducted from your check for x amount of weeks.

I guess the only way for me to decide if its right for me, is to do it!

flood Thanks this.
  9. CertifiedSweetie

CertifiedSweetie Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Pittsburgh,Pa
    Whoa $750:eek: and I complained about $250 Jeez.

truckon Thanks this.
  10. Mrh2008

Mrh2008 Road Train Member

May 25, 2012
    Mesa, AZ
    $50 a week, and it's refundable.

11. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

Central was $500 NONrefundable...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.