Bringing the pooch, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Mrh2008, Jul 18, 2013.

1. CertifiedSweetie

CertifiedSweetie Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Pittsburgh,Pa
    I've had my dog on the truck for 3 years. I've never been denied going to any shipper or receiver because i've had a dog. Most of the places I go to do say no pets outside of the truck but i've never let mine out at any shipper or receiver. He's good about holding his blatter also. I always take him out in the am and pm and if there's time in between I'll stop to let him out to roam. I've driven 10 hours non stop and it doesn't seem to bother him. My dog is mellow and for the most part sleeps especially when the truck is moving. When were stopped that's when he plays with bones and chew toys. Lucky for me he isn't a destroyer and doesn't chew or tear up anything. I have a long haired dachshund and he has tons of hair but I started using a shedding tool I bought and he barely sheds. I think as long a dog isnt a destroyer they should be OK in a truck.

However there are cons to having a pet. I've been looking at other companies and a lot of them don't allow pets. I'm not getting rid of him but im bummed I couldn't take a lot of the offers that I got because I have a pet. Also a company I drove for in a way left stranded because my truck broke down 1,000 miles away from our shop and the owner decided he wasn't going to fix the truck and sold it to a junk yard in the city it broke down in while I was actually still in the truck. They offered a bus ticket but of course I couldn't do that because I had a dog and so the company said they couldn't help me. I thought about sneaking him on the bus especially since I have a dog carrier that looks like a purse but I didn't want to risk it and I refused to leave him so I bummed around the city I was stuck in for over week before I was able to get out. If you have a pet, after going through what I went through, I'd suggest you have a emergency credit card with at least $500 on it. Take it from me being stranded and homeless with a dog is way worse than being stranded by yourself. Also another con is staying at hotels. Some hotel charge some pretty ridiculous fees. Not that im saying its ok for anyone else to do but I admit I've snuck mine into hotels but getting caught could be costly. I've seen pet fees as high as $50/day. And if its sky high I take my chances on sneaking him in.

Also as far as idling and stuff like that if its extra hot or cold I would idle to whatever made me comfortable. I have a apu now so that's helpful but I never did 24/7 idling just because I have a pet unless its in the negatives outside or over 90.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    My dog weighs almost 11 lbs. She keeps the other air seat from making noise, & keeps me company. Been doing that before the wife died, no reason to change.

4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    If Gizmo likes car rides I think he'll like to be in the trk with you.Just make sure to take him out every chance you get like at the shp or receiver.But ask the customer first of course.When im otr tiny goes with me.She use to love it but now its like when we going home,lol.She still doesn't mind it.She just gets bored.

5. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    She is not really a dog, She is a human with short legs.

6. teqntexas

teqntexas Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Ft. Worth Tx.
    bring your mutt and don't look back. yes it's a pain in the butt when you break down etc. (i was in 3 separate shops this week so i know what i'm talking about.)

people complain about having to walk them, but i try to look at it this way. she gets me out of the truck and moving around even when i don't want to. we all know that sitting like we do for 8-11 hours is terrible for us, and i use her as my excuse for taking that break and walking around. don't get me wrong i still have those 11 hour days, but really try to limit them so i can get her out.

and maybe i got really lucky but in 8 months she's peed once in the truck. she gets her body on a rhythm, it's weird. she will only eat or drink when we shut down for 10. other than that she sits in the passenger seat and moons Swift drivers as we go by. (just kidding, she pretty much moons everyone.)

introducing Cricket aka Trucker Dog. ( http://www.facebook.com/meandtruckerdog )

[​IMG]

DoneYourWay and CertifiedSweetie Thank this.
  7. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

didnt read all the posts...i am lazy that way.....but we had 2 dogs on the trk with us....toy poodles, small and really dont shed....i am against big dogs on the truck, i think its cruel....my dogs are small enough that they could still get exercise in the truck....BUT good points were mentioned...grooming etc....we got a room 1 time a wk (needed a restart then anyway) and that way they could have a bath, kept them cut short....kept a towel in the door so if it was raining outside could wipe their paws before putting them back in the truck....our dogs NEVER had an accident...but shop issues do present a problem....other than being in the shop, that was really my only complaint of them being on the truck.....turned down many a jobs cuz i couldnt take my babies.....

8. white wolf

white wolf Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2013
    minneeessoooota
    Better than bringing the wife that will never happen again never had to stop for so many piss breaks in my life.

striker, sfd714 and Cranky Yankee Thank this.
  9. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Cute dog,I can see whos the boss of your trk,lol.When I had brkdowns and a trkstop shop fixed it,I would just let tiny run in the lounge area..Nobody seem to mind.All the tas loved her.

10. Charli Girl

Charli Girl Road Train Member

Mar 23, 2013
    Houston,Tx
    omg so so cute!

teqntexas Thanks this.
  11. Charli Girl

Charli Girl Road Train Member

Mar 23, 2013
    Houston,Tx
    That was meant for "teqntexas"

teqntexas Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.