Broken Rear Motor Mount Bolts

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Fishell Trucking, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Fishell Trucking

Fishell Trucking Light Load Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Raymond Montana
    About a year and half ago I put new rear motor mounts in and ever since that I have had the bolts braking. Just on the rear mounts. This happens about every 30-50000 miles. The front mounts are also new have had no problems with them. I have the polly mounts in the rear and purchased them via E-bay. If I remember, I'm sure I crossed them with the OEM #, but If I didn't and they where the wrong mounts is this possibly the problem? I am using a grade 8 metric bolt just as the ones that come out. It just snaps the top off of them. Not at the same time, one time it will be the drivers and the next it will be the passenger side. I have talked to a few shops and nobody has dealt with this issue before. Oh ya this never started happening till I changed the mounts. Anyone got any ideas.
    Thanks Terrance

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Have you tried going back to an oem mount to see if it fixes the problem?

4. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    It sounds like there is some vertical movement against the bolts to be snapping the heads off. Do the poly mounts have steel sleeves in them? Are the bolts being over torqued at installation?

5. mgfg

mgfg Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Are you re-torquing the bolts after you install them?

6. Fishell Trucking

Jan 11, 2011
    Raymond Montana
    Yes the poly mounts have steel sleeves. What is the torque spec for these ? I have just tightened them tight with a ratchet.

7. truckmechanic

truckmechanic Medium Load Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Hi Desert Ca
    You need to make sure they are tight my guess is there not tight enough and the engine is moving around and slamming up aginst the head of the bolt o don't torque them I use a 1/2 impact gun also where are you buying bolts? Might be getting cheap bolts autozone and place like that will sell u so called grade 8 bolts but there cheap quality I would go to caterpillar and get bolts and try that

8. KaptainKenworth

KaptainKenworth Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Alberta Canada
    Have a look at down the mounting holes when the eng is sitting on them.. do the holes line up from the leg thru the mount and onto the saddle.. i have run into a circumstance where in between the frame and lower mount saddle there is a 1/4" spacer.. if that is missing it can put undue stress on the mount.. otherwise make sure the leg bolts are tight on the rear structure. typically the mounts just vary with durometer rating( how soft they are). also make sure the tits are ok on the lower saddle and the holes are not oblong..

9. Fishell Trucking

Jan 11, 2011
    Raymond Montana
    I think I might have found my problem. I order new OEM rubber mounts and installed. In the process of taking out the poly mounts I noticed on the driver side that on the bottom side where the mount sits on the two tabs that keep it in place that it was not sitting on the tabs the right way and messed up the holes. With that in mind I think this was letting the mount move just enough to brake the bolt over a period of time. So again no one to blame except myself. Hope this fixes it. Time will tell. Again thanks for all the info.

10. KittyKicker

KittyKicker Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Hahaha, ^^^^^he said "tits"!^^^^^

TGUNKEL Thanks this.
  11. Fishell Trucking

Jan 11, 2011
    Raymond Montana
    Kitty kicker thats a nice looking W9 you have

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.