Broker calls and texts

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Metalicious, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Metalicious

Metalicious Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2015
    I think its even easier forgotten that if you are a broker, it doesn't matter you are trying to take care of your customer. Namely the customer you are trying to rip off. But nonetheless let's not forget the broker could always supply his customer with tracking devices to place in the load itself.

KB3MMX and dunchues Thank this.
  2. FAST123

FAST123 Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Easton,PA
    I thought brokers only rip off carriers? My world just changed now that i know they rip off customers forget brokers I'm going direct to haul $4.00 mile anything 500 + miles and then a min of $1500.00 a day under 100 miles. The shipper better have their own tracking devices or they have pay an additional $250.00 each load for us to track. I know for a fact most shippers already pay those shady brokers that fee...actually i don't know but hey what the heck...

3. Michael H

Michael H Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    I've always held the opinion the shipper is free to place as many tracking devices they want on their product. They could cover every square inch of the load with tracking chips for all I care. However, my truck and property are off limits.

You hired a professional to do their job, let them do it. If you feel the need for nanny calls and tracking the driver, then you need to question your own judgement for hiring the person in the first place. Otherwise, trust your own judgement.

I am willing to call to let you know I'm loaded and I've delivered. Any other calls would be for emergencies only. And texting me while I'm driving?!?!?!?! NO!!!!!!!

KB3MMX and jason6541 Thank this.
  4. tequesia2

tequesia2 Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2019
  5. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    I recently had TQL call me at 11pm.

I answered thinking might be a hot load.

Chicago to Miami, FL for $2 a mile.
    Flatbed heavy load.

I never knew I could get so angry and burst into tears laughing at the same time.

Lite bug and KB3MMX Thank this.
  6. Avrakotos

Avrakotos Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2020
    BC
    I think its hilarious you drivers get so butt hurt when brokers or their night dispatch call you guys for reefer/location checks. Answering the phone and providing updates is part of the job, i refuse to use any carrier that says we can not contact drivers for updates. I get the irritation at 4am phone calls, but i have customers that require an update every 4 hours, without exception. Communication is not that difficult and a call/text takes less than a minute and is much less painful if you just provide that info from the start. Tracking apps are not that difficult to use, and worrying about them tracking you for "30 days" is irrelevant, because your phone tracks and listens to everything you say do anyway, every app and cell provider is harvesting your info. My priority, high paying lanes go to carriers i can trust and communicate well. I keep notes on the carriers that do not. I no load the carriers that like to be difficult. Its a fairly simple process that has worked well for my book of business. Customers keep track of broker performance, and the better my stats look, the more lanes i get and the better they pay.

JimmyTwoTimes Thanks this.
  7. NH Guy

NH Guy Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2023
    How about someone calls you at 4 am to ask you a question that was already answered hours before? See how butthurt you get.

8. Jubal Early Times

Jubal Early Times Road Train Member

Oct 17, 2022
    If you call me every 4 hours you can keep you load. If you want it delivered safely and timely don’t disturb the drivers rest. Which technically you just interrupted his/her federally mandated break which means it starts all over again.

Lite bug, KB3MMX, NH Guy and 1 other person Thank this.
  9. Avrakotos

Jan 22, 2020
    BC
    HAHA! Jokes on you as i get calls all hours of the night. Just last night at 01:00 - "Hey shipper set the reefer at 48 but you said 58, its bananas...what should i run the reefer temp on?" OR may favorite of all time " Hey, i was at a FCFS facility at the border in TX, took them 5 hours to load, can i get 4 hours of detention?" If you had any idea what a real freight broker actually does you would understand. Just like if i rode in a truck with you, id have a much better understanding of the trials and tribulations of a semi driver.

10. Avrakotos

Jan 22, 2020
    BC
    No worries, all those high paying loads that require more attention go to the carriers that can comply with customer demands and the guys who dont want to work get to sit all weekend in FL and take a load paying .98/mi.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.