Broker demands proof of ELD usage

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Sublime, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Sublime

Sublime Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    This has come up on a couple Facebook discussions.

A couple posters when attempting to book a load from a broker, said broker has said they'll only use a truck that has an ELD and demanded proof via the last 7 days of electronic log printouts.

Has anyone else experienced this?

6wheeler Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. benthere

benthere Medium Load Member

Feb 14, 2008
    The shomee
    i deal with brokers daily. havent heard that yet

4. Sublime

Sublime Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    We haven't either but we don't work too often with new ones anymore. The ones we use know we're trustworthy.

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I heard this from one of my drivers who heard it from another driver at a shipper.

personally if I was asked by a broker, I would have told the broker as soon as he/she sends me a copy of their DL and SS number I will send them copies of the logs because there is no need for it, none.

I would also put that broker on my do not haul list.

6. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Rates, truck availability, scheduling, and timely shipment are a broker's business.
    Copies of log books, paper or ELD, are not.

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    They have a right to know their trucks are compliant and their freight is not perhaps going to end up parked OOS somewhere but I understand OOS orders are not supposed to be issued for the time being.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  8. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    The broker can ask, and you are just as welcome to decline. He can ask for a picture of your girlfriend or wife, and you can decline.
    When you decline, he is welcome not to do business with you, or when he asks you can decide not do business with him.
    Just one more contractual agreement, or disagreement, like the rate, or delivery date.
    Let's take it a step further. He contracts with you to move a load for him. You fall asleep and have the worst accident possible, hit and kill a whole bus load of nuns. You can bet he is going to be named in the lawsuit by "The Hammer" or any one of the hundreds of ambulance chasing lawyers you see on the billboards all over the country with big print "Big Truck Accident" ?
    On the stand "the Hammer" asks the broker did you investigate whether or not this carrier was running compliant with all HOS regulations? The broker says no. The broker loses the case, his business and possibly everything he owns.
    I am not a lawyer, but I watch them on TV.

06driver, peterd, whoopNride and 2 others Thank this.
  9. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    It's standard procedure for brokers to verify compliance with the law. Every broker out there will demand proof of authority and insurance. Like it or not, elogs are now required by law.

10. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Simple. No stress.

Keep Trucking app will allow me to print out my "paper logs" into PDF....just like paper logs, only neater....lol

Having an ELD versus Printed Logs are TWO VERY DIFFERENT THINGS...lol

Now, I will demand $5/mile minimum, with Full Rate TONU and/or $1,400 gross min/10hrs of available drive time.

Any takers??

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  11. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Nothing New Here- Since Day 1, Brokers will do whatever they want.

I Encourage you guys to go "Brokerless".Kinda like "Paperless" Logs.. You can go "brokerless" Freight.

Them Morons been up to no good since Deregulation

If You guys start sending them your Logs- I'll Disown you from the trucking community

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.