Broker Detention Scam

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Florida Playboy, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    I get to shipper on time for 7:00 AM appointment. Per agreement with my company the broker pays detention after 2 hours. I leave the facility at 9:20 AM and broker tells me to email him the BOL with the in/out times. I do so and replies that "they" pay by the hour and since I wasn't there an hour into detention time I won't get anything. Let's say if, theoretically, I was there for 2 hours and 59 minutes would this broker also stiff me? "After two hours" means just that; all time after the two mark is paid. Using his logic, it would really be after the first three hours that is paid time.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    It's a bogus claim by the broker. Do you mind naming the broker and MC# so everyone can avoid them for not paying detention? What was the hourly rate? Divide that by 60 and that's what you are owed. I know everyone hates TQL but there is an account run by a certain broker there on a lane I run and that's how detention is paid.

Of course it takes forever to get approved but as long as it is documented they do eventually approve it. I hate jack ##### that screw me over on time and detention that I'm due. I won't work with them. Brokers like this need to have the screws tightened against them. With EOBR unpaid delay time is just not acceptable. It never really was before but these kind of brokers and customers need to be called out so their freight sits.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  4. Florida Playboy

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    It's Coyote Logistics out of Chicago. I don't know what they pay the company I work for but my employer pays me $20 an hour for detention after the first two hours. I was due $0.33 for every minute after the two hour mark. Then to add insult to injury, at the delivery location it took them forty minutes of phone tag to give me a $59 express code for the lumper service; almost making me miss my next load.

JimmyWells, KB3MMX and rollin coal Thank this.
  5. KABKA3

KABKA3 Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Two weeks ago I came to Majers DC in NEWPORT, MI. I was on time for my appointment at 6 am. And it took them 11 h 40 min to unload me as they were counting every f*****g ps in every box. 4 times I went to speak to their manager with no result. I let CH ROBINSON known before 8am that my detention starts soon -"It's OK. Just put you IN and Out time and we'll pay you. Don't warry."
    I left that Majer at 6 pm. Spent 2 days for that load. Missed my next PU. All that for $700 gross.
    Sybmitted the bills to CH ROBINSON at Chicago next morning after delivery. The status was "WFP- waiting for paperwork". Hmmmm.
    Three days later they said the image of the BoL is all glourry so I EMAILED them the same file, they accepted it and said "All clear and good, this load is prossessed for payment." I asked where is my Detention Pay????
    - Oh, we can't give you that coz you submited you paperwork Late. You should submit it to us within one day after delivery." I Did. - No, sorry. We can't halp you with that.
    Yep. That is CH ROBINSON

roshea, disoba, JimmyWells and 2 others Thank this.
  6. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    This is why I advocate having your OWN RUBBER STAMP with IN/OUT time, and CLEARLY writing on the BOL.

I would also have challenged their initial rejection of THE SAME BOL as evidence that it was acceptable the second time. Which means maybe the first employee has bad eye sight.

Dont just roll over

KB3MMX and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  7. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Coyote got me this summer. Broken forklift. Sent over in and out times got paid $0.00

JimmyWells, KB3MMX and Florida Playboy Thank this.
  8. Florida Playboy

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    What was their excuse for not paying you?

6wheeler Thanks this.
  9. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    I remember sitting there on the Thanksgiving day from 8am till 3pm, watching them break every single box and put each ketchup bottle on a conveyor. It just blew my mind that they do it while the truck is still in dock.
    That was my first and last time I went there. What a horrible place

magoo68 Thanks this.
  10. KABKA3

KABKA3 Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Totally agree with you. They should unload and release the truck before sorting and restocking their items.
    I even made a video of thay guy unloading my trailer - constantly checking and typing something on his phone, chatting to his coworkers.... Basically stilling money from Majers by not working. You could definitely tell that he is on-a-clock - working hard for 11:40 hours to unload 1 trailer.
    I'll try to upload this video on Youtube.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  11. Bigrayon

Bigrayon Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2015
    Say it's so waiting on one my self from them also don't pull FEMA loads that power and light have, we are waiting for our detention pay from them an loads from NC to Jacksonville FL

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.