Broker Detention Scam

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Florida Playboy, Oct 26, 2017.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If it is that Meijer's in MI I know of, one side is total Union and they will unload it for a fee. (And check every #### thing coming off the trailer since now it's their inventory...) and the front side docks is non-union. Anyone will unload there but you have to do it yourself or with outside lumpers.

Again I remember one particular M in MI and been there three times in my entire life with a delivery. Two of those times were resolved with a union delivery out back with no trouble other than excessive lost hours and the one time was delivered on my own dime at the front docks which caused me to swear I will never return to that particular place.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    That is so typical scenario. I learned to ask who the receiver is (shipper delays matter too but logistically not as much) and I'd like to see the "detention" to be reflected already in the rate there.Otherwise, in reality, they will find excuses not to pay such as; No time on BOL with a receiver's intials right below it (good luck with obtaining that); no stamped time (handwritten is not good enough - good luck with that too); you were supposed let them know half and hour prior the detention started....so on, so on Sickening! I don't even count detention as some potential rate increase opportunity, but rather risk. The odds of getting it....is too odd. Even the big brokers CHR, TQL, Coyote, JBHunt were giving me hard time with detention...all this time spent on the phone trying to make them pay what in the end is very often $75 or some Micky Mouse crap like that .Never ever, will they come first with their own initiative to pay you, seeing that you deserve it. You always have to argue for it. And it is seldom more than $200-300... One exception: EPES Logistics did do that for me once, gave me detention, even though I did not ask for it yet.
    Very often in rate confirmations they will say "detention paid after 2 hours $305 max "
    So what the hell does that mean? After 4 hours I leave the place and go back to the shipper?
    Never consider detention as an opportunity.

KB3MMX and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Sounds like a pretty lousy broker to shaft you cause it wasn't quite an hour, should of just rounded it up and just paid u for the hour. Alot of shonky people out there how sad what this world is coming too.

5. jcrack08

jcrack08 Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2014
    I don't load with Coyote coz of those stupid games. Been almost a year since I hauled for them, they shafted me on detention and I let the broker know that was the last time, of course they still call.

6wheeler and KB3MMX Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    When I loaded concrete at the ready mix plant after buying it cash one afternoon onto the mixer for delivery by myself and pouring etc and finishing by myself (About 6 yards, a 340 dollar shipment) I was told in no uncertain terms that I have two hours free to finish the job otherwise it's 65 dollars an hour detention out of my pocket.

Everyone was making bets for or against me at the 2 hour mark on the company radio. I was finished and off the job 4 minutes until the second hour mark. That concrete floor is still there doing well in the one shed. (Probably due to the 6 bags of fiber addition I put into the drum..)

KB3MMX and TallJoe Thank this.
  7. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Coyote said send over the in and out times on the BOL. I never received a revised confirmation even after I called twice. They said they have to get it approved through there customer.

Whats if Coyote billed the customer for 4 hours of detention and pocketed?

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. Bigrayon

Bigrayon Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2015
    Just to give you guys the heads up, this weekend in Atlanta some one tried to get some free fuel at the Petro, also in Jackson GA the 201 guys there braking into trucks there

KABKA3 Thanks this.
  9. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Ask them to put you on the "no call list". They will.

10. trucking.shine

trucking.shine Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2017
    They should have at least paid the 20 min if not the whole hour...
    I've had similar problems with Domino Sugar in South Bay, FL... They say that they receive by appointment. But if they run into delays unloading or there lunch hour comes in then everything gets messed up and your appointment is sent to the trash. And is very hard to get them paid for the extra time unloading.

11. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Just charge them 50 bucks more next time to cover it. Don't try to bend the customers to your will, it doesn't work that way. It's your job to price the job they want done including the contingencies. You asking for detention means you didn't ask for enough money to make the waiting around fair in the first place.

Honestly if I'm being real with all of you I barely believe in the idea of detention/layover/x charges except in really extreme cases where the basic terms of the deal have been completely screwed. If you lost an entire day you should get some money. Not what you lost, but a token amount designed to punish the customer for sucking.

This is trucking. Stuff happens. Nobody wants you to work for free so make sure you charge enough money that if something goes wrong you won't be that sore about it. The whole idea of paying detention is just a scam to get you to take a lower up front rate 'because they pay detention'. If the customer has a detention policy that's great, factor it into the rate. If the customer doesn't want to pay that's fine too, just charge more.

Be happy for every lump you take learning lanes and freight types. Those lumps are what stop the FNG from coming in and competing with you. Those lessons should cost money. Once you've paid that money you don't want the customer to sand down their edges any more lol.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.