Brokered Loads

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by ModernDayMuleSkinner, Jun 26, 2009.

1. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    yes it's unusual but the company can allow you to be paid directly. they could also at anytime call the broker and tell them the money has to be sent to them and there's nothing you could do. Not that they would but they can because you are running under them.

it's actualy almost unheard of because when you lease to a company you give them a percentage of what you earn for running under them, how are you paying them for what you haul?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 112racing

112racing Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    pocono's, pa
    you can't do that when you call a broker you must be set up with them requiring you to have authority and proper insurance with a signed contract. if you don't have authority and insurance the check must go to the carrier that does some times when i was on the road and found a load and couldn't do the contract i had a good broker that would do it and i would just give them 5% but the check went to them and they payed me minus the 5%

4. wtm

wtm Light Load Member

May 11, 2009
    south
    The payment will be sent to the company name who holds the authority and insurance the load was booked under most brokers or shippers will not send it antwhere else if they sent it directly to you then the company you are leased to could come back and say they didnt recieve payment for the load brokers and shippers will not want to get caught up in that mess.

5. DoubleDear

DoubleDear Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Harrisburg PA

What? A Trucking Company being generous to the driver?
    Never in my life heard of a company allowing the driver to get the check, under their Authority.

Thanks WTM. That's the way I always thought it should be too.
    We had a mix up years ago with the same scenerio.
    We were waiting on a check from someone who sent the check to the driver.. All that time we were waiting on the check and found out the drivers wife called them and had them send it to her.. It was an Owner Operator with his own Authority but it was our load and our Authority covering that load that we gave him .. I think his wife was trying to get over on us.
    When a Load is covered under whoevers Authority, they get a small percentage to help cover the insurance cost for that load.

6. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    :biggrin_25516:If you're hauling a brokered load using your companies equipment/authority, I can't imagine your company letting you receive payment from the broker and them not wanting a cut. What if you did this for a 30 day period because of slow freight with your company, would your company just let you use their trailer/authority for free?:biggrin_25516:

7. ModernDayMuleSkinner

ModernDayMuleSkinner Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Wow.. I'm getting an education here! As for Allow Me's comment, yes, the company does let us use their trailer (at a cost of $30 per day & 15 cents a mile). I was told that the money I owe them (for equipment, insurance, etc) is subtracted from the monthly settlement, and if there is not enough revenue to cover it (because, for example, I've had more independent loads), then I owe them the difference, payable within 5 days of the paydate, as if I'm paying a bank loan. If I don't pay it, then they must follow some legal procedures (sending a past due notice, etc.), and if I still don't pay, they will come get the truck.

I'm beginning to think that although they're being seemingly "benevolent" (and I use the term loosely), that perhaps the big catch here is that they're not going to allow us to run under their authority.

I am going to talk to the company directly in the next day or so, but I was trying to get a few ducks in a row first, which is why I posted to begin with. I'm using all this great info from you guys to formulate my questions. Any other info will be helpful, since I'll be checking this thread right before I call the office. Again, many thanks!

8. DoubleDear

DoubleDear Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Harrisburg PA
    If the Company is allowing you to find your own Loads,, Each and every Load Must be Runned under Someone's Authority. You can't run a Load without having an Authority. That's for Insurance Purposes and any Claims that may occur on the Load.

Sounds like the Company is making out renting you a trailer for 30.00 dollars a day. I'd like to hear what the company would say to you, if you told them , You're going to buy your own trailer. For what they're charging you in a Month's time, you can buy one yourself for that price.
    Trucks and Trailers are getting cheaper by the dozen.

Sure wish I could read that Lease Contract you have with them. Everyone and Anyone considering signing on with a Trucking company should have an Attorney go over it, to explain the contract and add any clause that may be feasible for your sake.,,
    A Contract should be considered for both parties benefit. Not one sided.
    And since I don't know what it says, sorry to say, I can't help you with any information

But let us know how it goes for you..

9. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    sure wish you'd tell me where i can buy a trailer for $900

although I agree totally

10. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    I'm sure she's (DD) referring to a trailer payment.

11. Pawnd

Pawnd Medium Load Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Chasing wind
    Standard legalese for being an IC. But, this does not say you can use their authority for "side jobs."

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.