Brokers need to be taught a lesson

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by robbiehorn, Jan 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    And to add to all this. The reason that we can get the crazy rates that we get in expedite is because drivers have been sold this bill of goods on miles, miles, miles and if the wheels ain't turning, you ain't earning. It is like the concept of profit goes out the window.

I get frustrated some times about the stupid things drivers will do but today is an all time high. 4 idiots passing up good money for bad. And not because of a reason like weather, need to get home to family, etc. Simply because they couldn't handle sitting regardless of getting paid.

ARRRRGGGGHHHH.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Hopefully some of this or something like it is available when I get back out there sounds like my kind of work. Is this project stuff I heard about or is it an expedited need for trucks?

4. xiipercent

xiipercent Medium Load Member

Mar 19, 2007
    that is a sick story. three days , lowest was $5/mile, and he banks 400 miles($2000) and he's complainin...

Was this guy leased on to F2F...? I figured you had vetted all your guys to know what to expect. did he somehow slip thru.

If I wasn't taking the summer off...I'd have already pm'd you with an App.

5. trees

trees Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Aren't you glad you're not leasing them trucks? Lol.... It's all about the bottom line, but some people just can't see past the gross...."Dispatch services" love this mentality...they say, "it's going 3000 miles and paying $1.35 to the truck..."

And the driver responds.... "Hot dignity, I'm gettin paid this week".....lol

You tell them, "I'm going to guarantee you get paid, I'm going to pay you to sit"

The response?

"Screw that I need to make some money, I got miles to turn son..."

It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic....

6. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    That's why in another thread I cautioned a member about letting someone else run under his authority. You can vet all you want but it's always a shot in the dark. Not everyone learns at the same pace and some people can never shake the miles think. Doesn't make them bad people or people you don't want to work with. I'd rather have a driver like that if they had a good attitude and kept their equipment up than someone who played the rate games with the best of them that didn't take care of equipment and/or getting caught in lies etc.

bullhaulerswife Thanks this.
  7. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
    I've drive 1,068 miles so far this year 2014....that's no joke

8. Dmen

Dmen Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2014
    This thread seems to have come off the rails a bit.

First let me say I have worked in brokerages on and off for about 15 out of the last 25 years. I've also spent some time dispatching for a few trucking companies.

I realize there are some fly-by-night brokers out there. But there are also some carriers out there who do just as much damage.

I just wanted to make a simple point about rates.
    A large portion of the business that brokers quote on and don't get will end up with carriers quoting less. Some of that business makes sense as the carriers are quoting maybe 10-15 or 20% less then the broker, so they win the business by the margin the broker would have made.... that's life.

However, I have been on the losing end of quotes where carriers have quoted 50% to 75% lower. This drives rates down, it gives the shipper a false sense of market rates. Had one of these happen just a few days ago. We quoted 2.75 a mile on a 500 mile lane. 4 loads a week. Major center to major center. As a broker we would have made 125.00 a load, what ever carrier we tendered to would have received 2.50 a mile. Sure we left a bit of wiggle room to negotiate, but........

So what happened? A carrier went to the shipper and quoted 625.00 flat! that's 1.25 a mile and that's a carrier not a broker. This is not isolated either, this happens all of the time.

Sly Fox, 281ric and trees Thank this.
  9. 6 Speed

6 Speed Heavy Load Member

Jan 2, 2014
    I driven more than that since the superbowl.

10. trees

trees Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Without knowing any details I can say that I'd have quoted it at 15, and wriggled down some depending on the details, might even have quoted higher initially, depending. Your rate was solid, I expect you'll hear back from them when bargain basement trucking co gives them enough headaches...Lol...

11. robbiehorn

robbiehorn Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Axtell,Texas
    Lets get back on track here. I say for the whole month of March let's all pull together and not haul any loads for TQL. This will give us the whole month of February to get the word out. Then in April we will do the same for UTI. Then in May we will choose another large bottom feeder brokerage.:yes2557: These two seem to have most of the loads on the free load boards and are always expect the load to be moved at the lowest rate possible.

roadrover Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.