Bug eye mirrors

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Dave_in_AZ, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    OK. There is this 389 for sale. Looks like regular hood. Black. Nice.
    However,
    It has these bug eye mirrors on both sides of the grill that just ruin it.

Question:

What is involved with removing the bug eye mounts from the grill?
    Can it be done?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    LoL... i have NO clue~! I'd love to hear the results, tho~! I've driven many a 379 and one 389, and no sightings of such.... could it be aftermarket?!? I'm thinking, yeah......most likely!

Also, i tried to tag you in the "right turn" thread....but my dash and underline button quit... i imagine kids with pop or some yada. @Boattlebot wants to know if he should dress up like a bollard when he rides his new bike, LoL! Go ck it out for #### n gigs...LoL.

Boattlebot Thanks this.
  4. Boattlebot

Boattlebot Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2016
    Got any pics? If it's bolted you basicly unbolt then use a bit of bondo. Fill the gap and sand smooth. If you want to do it the right way I'd use a couple layers of fiberglass mat over the holes and use a very thin layer of bondo but the holes shouldn't be to big to where I'd worry about just doing a bond fill. Once smooth match the paint and fade into the original paint. Do a coat or two then one more very thing VERY THIN layer of bondo then same as before sand smooth and flush then paint with color sanding and wet sand to make nice and smooth. To do it right strip the whole hood of clear coat and paint match the worked on areas get that right then smooth. Then clear the whole hood with 4 or 5 coats of clear in your choice of high gloss or matte or anywhere in between.

I'm not a paint and body expert this is just what I've learned over the years

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  5. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Pull the little covers off the bracket at the hood pull the mirrors off and put the covers back on the hood. If its mounted to the grill surround you could replace it with a new one to remove the holes from the brackets or just put in some stainless pop rivits to fill the holes. NO BONDO OR FIBERGLASS as its a metal hood.

Dave_in_AZ and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  6. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Yea they are on the grill surround, I haven't taken a close look, cause as soon as I saw that I was going ah man. They look like huge mounts. If I did away with the mirrors, these GIANT mounts are still on the grill. One of those grills can't be cheap.

7. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    JReding Thanks this.
  8. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    I haven't taken pic yet. It's sitting right in the corner of Arrow's lot by the exit ramp. You could probably look it up on their website.

9. Bakerman

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ha, already looked at it last week.

I'm a non smoker, as soon as I sat in the seat I could smell the cover up they tried to do. Lots and lots of air freshener over smoke smell. Yuk.

Bean Jr., Cottonmouth85 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  10. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Same here. As far as the non smoker goes. Did you look at those mirrors? What do you think?

11. Bakerman

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm sure you can remove them, just will have some mounting holes where they go through the grill.

I've been eyeballin this one on the North side of Tucson at Tucson Trux & Equip., but the guy will not come down on the price to where I think it should be.
    upload_2017-4-30_6-51-33.jpeg

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.