Build finished

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by 24kHotshot, Oct 7, 2021.

1. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018

So this is a custom built rig just for you?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    Yup!

Lite bug and LoneRanger Thank this.
  4. LoneRanger

Jun 3, 2018
    Nice. I love hearing that. Specs on the rig?

24kHotshot Thanks this.
  5. 24kHotshot

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    2017 Cascadia Evolution 125 with a dd15 455 hp and a dt12 transmission 286 wb and 2.62 rears. Dual 150 gallon tanks. Bought with 79xxx miles. Truck is near mint.

Itsbrokeagain, Lite bug and LoneRanger Thank this.
  6. LoneRanger

Jun 3, 2018
    Green lights and 4wheeler free lanes bud. All the best.

24kHotshot Thanks this.
  7. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    I would keep the duals.

with a super single , if you get a flat , you’re stranded .

24kHotshot Thanks this.
  8. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017

I hope that works out but I've always had a hard time struggling with just 2 vehicles. Sure certain loads can add up over $2/mile one way but trying to get it again after you drop is where the problem is. Can you load a full-size truck or van up on that upper section? It doesn't seem long enough to me. can you add some sort of slide-outs to extend the length of that upper section?

I can see you getting out of the NE no problem with $2/mile or maybe more but keeping that rate once you get to the destination and the next load is where it becomes hard with just 2 cars. That's where the 3 car makes things average out.

I mean granted, the whole $2/mile thing is nice and all but it doesn't mean you have to hit $2/mile all the time to make money but if you don't it means you have to work more. Also, the reality is $2/mile from even just 5 years ago probably needs to be at least $2.50 today with current costs if not maybe higher.

Not trying to argue against the set up, but just going by my experience it gets hard to keep about 2/mile with just 2. I mean myself I can carry 2 fullzie heavy trucks on my set up just not 3 cars (I'm just a tiny bit short) However even 2 fullsize trucks it's a struggle to put two together in a lot of places. I guess if you stay up in the NE it might be ok to do, (I stay far away from up there)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    24kHotshot Thanks this.
  9. 24kHotshot

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    I have been setting up "mock loads" on the board for months before I built the truck. I don't need 1000+ mile trips, I actually prefer shorter runs. I can find $2 loads all day long for 500 miles and less. Just yesterday I found 2 sedans from PA to AL that pays just over $3,000 for about 1200 miles and a connecting 3 separate single unit loads (AL to SC, SC to VA and VA to NYC) that would bring me $2500 coming back. Won't even break a sweat :D
    I can stay in the NY-PA-VA-NC area all week long and make no less than 750-800 a day which is fine for me. I can also run single day loads and be home everyday if I want and gross near $1000 a day doing Manheim PA and NJ auctions. Hell I can make $400 local runs from LI to Newark in 3-4 hours and sleep in my own bed. I can turn a profit off of 1.5-1.75 a mile loads also if need be. I have researched this for a very long time. I have very good relationships with big brokers that are aware of what I charge and they call me every week. I am friends with local used car dealers that buy lots of cars from local auctions and call me for transport. I studied the boards thoroughly for almost a year before I built my $100k truck.

I can fit a full size sedan on top with a minivan/small suv on the bottom comfortably. I can carry single unit dually trucks, cargo vans and maybe small busses (not sure about this yet). I can load a trailer on the bed and tow one behind the truck.

I don't want to "show off" but I have 0 debt and almost no personal expense. I can sit at home for 6 months without worry if need be.

Some example loads on fellow HT trucks: (white truck has a shorter bed than mine)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    That last one with the pair of Apex trailers would being paying $2.56/mi to the truck right now at my company. Generally you have to be leased to an RV hauling company such as Indiana Transport or Horizon to move new RV units though. Singles pay anywhere from $1.67-1.74. If you could put a dually or van on the truck and a single on the ground with the hitch that would be some pretty good loads.

EDIT: actually don't quote me on not being able to get trailers from the RV hauling outfits. I think some of them broker loads out to guys with their own authority. The guy I work for had an independent guy in his office just this past week talking about a deal to get loads, so it's probably possible. Bumper pull travel trailers are going to be very abundant and they go everywhere. The power-only stuff is kind of a new business opportunity you didn't have before, but that stinger hitch on the back will make you money.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    24kHotshot Thanks this.
  11. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    There is a couple of trailer shops in Elkhart County that build these types of rigs primarily catering to the RV and cargo trailer haulers. Using a medium or heavy duty rig with a bed on it instead of pulling a trailer with a 3500-5500 series little truck has some advantages, although there is some setup and lead time since you have to bring them a truck and wait for them to build it. Used trucks like this are far and few between and don't last long for sale.

LoneRanger and 24kHotshot Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.