Build finished

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by 24kHotshot, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    They could have easily deleted the center rail from the build if you were certain you were never winching trailers up onto the deck. One less thing to trip over.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    Originally it was supposed to be lowered center track upgrade. Called me mid build to say it couldn't be done and they will weld it on top of deck.
    Wanted the rail for future resale value. I kept the railings, if I ever intend to sell the truck I will reweld them back on.

4. jeffman164

jeffman164 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Same thing happened with my build with Shipshe. Made sense though.

Lite bug and 24kHotshot Thank this.
  5. Brandonpdx

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    They do nice work no doubt about that. If I had the dough I'd have them spec me a lightweight setup color matched to my truck that wouldn't kick my old girl's ### too much on the weight...all the aluminum options, 1 stainless tool box for the winch battery, delete the spare tire carrier. Lots of extra LED chicken lights though lol. Whichever one is lighter between the 53' deckover or the gooseneck style for the pickup trucks. I could pull either one since I have a cab and chassis but wouldn't ever put more than 2 small campers or vehicles on it. 26k and under lightweight setup. Those small RV campers are usually around 3500 lbs each so if the trailer weighed no more than 7k it would work. I had a 13,400 lb 5th wheel behind me just a couple weeks ago...a bit of a chore in stop and go traffic working the clutch and shifter gingerly but not out of the question. I would re-gear the rear end to 4.10 or 4.30 for a little better leverage. 3.73 is a little tall for overdrive if you get a breeze coming at you.

6. 24kHotshot

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    I have owned 3 hotshot trailers in under 2.5 years and shopped around most manufacturers. All hotshot trailers are poorly built, under engineered and not built well for what they are supposed to haul. Everything was low quality, welded by amateurs and designed by desk jockeys all with the idea of saving the company money with low quality materials and charge the customer a premium. Warranty is a roll of the dice, by my third trailer I bought I kept in mind that if anything goes wrong I will be fixing it myself. With most trailer manufacturers being at least 500 miles from me, hauling a broken trailer to them for warranty work makes no sense. Paying to have it shipped, might as well find someone local and pay out of pocket or buy tools to do it myself.
    Also, not a single trailer I have bought weighed what the company said it weighs. My last trailer was supposed to be 7500 lbs and weighed a little over 8500 lbs. If you are a non cdl hotshot I would suggest taking the new trailer to a scale before giving them a dime.
    Now that I have sold my trailer and my ram, I will never go back to hotshot trailers and pickup trucks.

Sorry for the rant, had to get it out lol

7. 24kHotshot

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    I got asked a lot if I can make money with this truck only picking up 2 at a time. Trying out the local runs tomorrow.

2 tesla 1 pick 1 drop, 2 corolla 2 pick 1 drop
    120-130 miles from parking spot to parking spot, $1000 book, $37.50 tolls.
    Leave 8am and home no later than 3pm :D:D:D,
    will probably find another unit on the way home from last drop for at least 150-250

dwells40 Thanks this.
  8. Brandonpdx

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    You'd probably need to qualify your answer to that question...in the market I live in, yes you can make money hauling 2 cars. In a lot of other areas it might not be such a great deal.

Glad to hear you sold the other setup. I'm not surprised that trailer weighed any less 8500 since it had tandem DRW axles, all steel deck and whatnot. That's about what they are on the higher side until you get into hydraulic tilt setups. We have a guy leased on that has a 53' Shipshe deckover with a hydraulic tilt on the front so that sucker probably weighs 10k+ easily and can hold 4 cars, but he pulls that with a 3 axle sleeper cab. I think the little truck setups are fun in a way but it depends on what your goals are and I waffle back and forth on what mine are. I decided I'm definitely quitting the RV guy at the end of the year...even just doing power only local work with my old little truck it's way too cheap on money for the time and hassle involved. Back when fuel was $2.25 it was already borderline on profitability. Now that it's $3.50 or worse and they ain't throwing any extra money on it, it's time to disappoint somebody who's been spoiled rotten by having me around. May just have to go back to driving a big truck for somebody else for awhile.

24kHotshot Thanks this.
  9. Brandonpdx

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    On another note: November 16th and they've already fired up the Christmas music on the radio. I think that's a new record.

24kHotshot Thanks this.
  10. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    So at 11 mpg, fuel up every 3000 miles... thats gonna pay for itself in price shopping fuel alone

24kHotshot Thanks this.
  11. 24kHotshot

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    The truck's sale ad said 300 gallons. Turns out it has dual 120s on it so 240. So more like fuel every 2400 miles.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.