Bulkmatic, as it happens...

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Suspect Zero, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    I see Detroit is still a smoldering pile of crap... nice to see some things never change. :rolleyes:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Steelersjunkie

Steelersjunkie Road Train Member

May 26, 2016
    Yeah... about that $450 trip to the dealership. It magically became $1200. Good times.

4. Steelersjunkie

May 26, 2016
    Even before that city fell, it was a disgusting cesspool.

Suspect Zero Thanks this.
  5. Suspect Zero

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    Ouch!

6. Steelersjunkie

May 26, 2016
    Yeah man. Real life, this is it. On a good note, this particular Kenworth dealership is amazing. I didn't get raped, and it could have been much worse had I taken it somewhere else. Overall, no complaints.

Suspect Zero Thanks this.
  7. Suspect Zero

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    My luck ran out this afternoon, I had to load a trailer for delivery Monday. Didn't have to do it today but figured I'd try and get ahead of the game. Although I can not figure it out, does someone know why a railcar has the hook up for the hot hose all the way on one end and the hook up for the bottom line (5 hopper car) all the way on the other end between the 4th and 5th hopper? What a pain in the ###, especially since I couldn't get to the proper side of the car, only the opposite side. I just can't figure that one out.

Have to make 2 deliveries tomorrow, both pre-loaded, then load another another trailer for my 2nd Monday delivery, hopefully it will go better then the 3 hours it took me today.

Other then that things have been fairly decent. Didn't make it back to the yard last night so got 10 hours of peace and quiet with unlimited shower privileges in a hotel.

Random thoughts from the week...

1) That expanded metal walkway on the top of trailers is great for your feet, not so much for your knees. I think I still have check marks on mine from being up there replacing a dome lid gasket.

2)When I am standing on top of one, like I was today, railcars are way higher then they look from the ground, and from what I remember from a past job.

3) Leaving your mallet propt up against a silo in Ohio makes it very hard to use when you're in Michigan :-(

4)Hooking up and finding out one of your hose ends is out of round and won't connect and you have to drive 40 minutes in each direction to get another hose really pisses you off.

5) If you want to do 7 miles under the speed limit, I'm cool with that, but do it in the RIGHT LANE!

6) Michigan, please fix your roads or pay for my chiropractor appointments. Preferably the former.

7) After many hours of contemplation I have come to the conclusion that somewhere on my truck there is a a magnet that attracts other trucks. It is the only thing that explains the never ending onslaught this past week of people who insist on cutting back into the lane on front of me with only 8 or 10 feet of space. And more trucks then cars. I'm tellin' ya, I know I'm not the best at what I do, not even close, but I do try. Lately it seems like I'm surrounded by drivers I wouldn't trust to drag a stuffed animal down the sidewalk in a Radio Flyer let alone a 53 foot box with 40 some thousand pounds in it. (Rant Over)

For the week of 7/1/18 to 7/7/18 I did 10 loads for 1872 miles, used 62.25 of my 70 and grossed $1,794, or $28.81/hour.

@Steelersjunkie Here's one that I hope is around as long as next week's entry has been.

Not sure if I will keep updating this on a weekly basis. For the moment I'm pretty much doing the same thing most days and there isn't much about it to say at the moment. If things change or I get into new stuff/have some interesting stuff I will surely be on here with it but at the moment all I seem to be doing is tossing out the same info every week .

Lonesome Thanks this.
  8. wbw6cos

wbw6cos Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Lilburn, GA
    A lot of the times, the railroad push in the cars so the "unload side" is correct, but if you are at the yard where Bulkmatic IS the rail raod, then go figure. Most times, those unloading outlets can flip to either side. The hot hose issue is what you make of it. 10' product hose changed the game (from 20 footers) and makes loading from a PD car more interesting. At times the hot hose is used right from the blower to the rail car, other times, from the rear of the tank. Shouldn't be an issue, so long as you have the right equipment; 3"- 90 degreee elbows make a big difference; but most of the time a 4" 90 with a 4-3 coupler will work too.

Egg-shaped hose fittings are a product of EVERYBODY who touches them - drivers, loaders, tank washers, and helpful receivers (bless thier hearts.) Too bad the last driver before you did not report them or get them changed out. Sad.

Also, get your boss to order the knee pads used in the tank wash. Tell him they will allow you to work at ground level, SAFELY, at the rail car hook-up and will save you from hurting your back, bending down to set pans, tarps, hose stands, getting samples, and hooking up, etc. At 52, knees are not so forgiving from work done starting at 33 years of age. HA

Friend, Suspect Zero and Lonesome Thank this.
  9. Suspect Zero

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    Correct on all points, the way the car was set up I did have to go right from the blower discharge, otherwise it was just barely to far with the hoses I had.

The out of round hose just pissed me off to no end because of what you said, the last driver that tried to use it didn't do jack except stick it back in the tube and put a seal on it. This trailer goes into/comes back out of a place where the company has enough of a presence that we actually have full time people there, including a place where it could have been dealt with in about all of 10 minutes, it isn't like it would have been a huge ordeal. My clock runs down faster then I want it to also, but I wouldn't knowing screw the next guy like that, it just irks me to no end.

Not sure about the rail yard and car placement. My understanding is that BNSF owns the yard and tracks and the company leases tracks from them. I am assuming that BNSF gets a list of what cars to put on what track but if the car is placed so that all the valves are on the road side or the opposite side it totally pot luck.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  10. Suspect Zero

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    New one yesterday, unloading starch, trailer grounded, went to switch from 3rd to 4th hopper, grabbed valve on 4th hopper to open it and got shocked just like when you blow out a light bulb in a lamp then forget to turn it off before changing it and grab the base of said light bulb while unscrewing it.

Also, does anyone reading this load flour? Everyone thinks I'm nuts but the air discharging from the trailer during loading a flour load ALWAYS smells like tuna casserole to me. :confused:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  11. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Gotta love that shock dont ya?? Yea different flours have different smells. We run the clear plastic hose for our flour and running whole wheat through it on a low humidity day you better give that hose a BIG BIG step especially if the compartment is empting as you step over the hose. Something jumped up and bit me lieutenant dan. We haul more of the pastry/pancake/cake type flours then the bread type flours so ours tend to have a little sweeter smell.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.