Bulkmatic, as it happens...

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Suspect Zero, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    Sitting at a red light... Truck starts to roll back... Huh?/.... press down on brake pedal harder..... still rolling back....wtf?!?!?!... push right leg thru floorboad along with brake pedal and left thru along with clutch, still rolling back..... pop all the brakes, still no good!!!...HOLY ####, I CAN'T STOP THIS THING, WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!.

####ing guy in the next lane was easing up over the line really slowly and I thought it was me going backward. That one hasn't happened in a long time.

It all happened in what was probably 2 seconds, but it felt like an eternity. Scared the ever livin' #### outta me though.

Finished up this afternoon with 9 minutes left on my 70. Now if I can just figured out a way to cram 96 hours into the next 34 before going back to work everyone in my life might be happy..... naaaaahhhhhhh, they'd still complain about something.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Suspect Zero

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    Looking at the truck this afternoon while unloading thinking... You look like crap, you work hard, you deserve a day at the spa. Sadly, all you're gonna get is 20 minutes at the Blue Beacon, but it's better then nothing. Get the truck washed, pony up the extra for an engine wash, rainX crap and whatnot. They did a pretty good job actually, truck looks spiffy.... How does it say thank you?? Brake chamber lets go 45 minutes later.

Now I'm in a yard truck until at least Monday. On the bright side, when I get back in mine I won't be #####ing about anything, this yard truck makes mine seem like a brand new just rolled off the lot palace.

It was just like that all day. Nothing really went wrong, but nothing really went right either, if that makes any sense. 13 hours and I didn't get nearly what I should have done in it. I should have been in a position at the end of today to have only a 7-8 hour day tomorrow. Now I figure I'm looking at another 13 hour day tomorrow.

Also, I was correct in my earlier post about having the worst week yet after that really good week. Took 2 days off in a week as opposed to the 6 days I usually work and had some snafu things during the weekend loads. Ended up grossing only $1132.... ouch. Oh well, all things average out in the long run.

My first official complaint. Well, not really a complaint maybe, but definitely I disagree with the policy. We have DriveCam, or Smart Drive, or whatever it is. I'm use to driving against a camera from my last gig, so it isn't any big deal, and honestly, most of time the camera goes off it's over nothing and counts as nothing. but depending on what happenns to set it you can get banged with points. Point amount varies depending on what you did. No biggie, except for pausing a little longer at stop signs it hasn't the way I drive at all.

If you get over a certain amount of points or if you keep doing the same thing over and over they pull you in and go over it with you, please try to work on such and such a little.... that kind of stuff. If you really start blowing thru what is considered the acceptable amount of points then you will be driving around for a day or so with the regional safety guy.

Anyway, Qualcomm spit out a message last week that Smart Drive monthly scores have been posted in all terminals. Sure has ####, I get into the terminal and look and taped to the wall is the print out with everyone's name and their score. Most were low, nothing to worry about, a couple were higher, and one was really out there in left field.

This may, and I have to stress MAY, get some results from those higher on the list to try and do better, but it will DEFINITELY get you animosity, at the very least. I just don't agree with it at all. Shaming someone publicly as an approach? No, that one isn't right. It should stop. Certain things should be handled in private, not tossed out for everyone to see.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    Coragran, Steelersjunkie and Rugerfan Thank this.
  4. wbw6cos

wbw6cos Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Lilburn, GA
    They should have gathered a general consensus to see if everyone was on board with doing so. Do not consider it public shaming, but rather, a friendly rivalry to do better (for yourself.) I do agree with you, but unless others are ribbing you, do not take it personally. If you hear about any talk behind your back, you may want to address it with Ron (or some other local safety manager.) they have the discretion to discontinue the process.

5. Suspect Zero

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    It really doesn't matter to me in a work related situation, my score is way below the line. It just really rubs me the wrong way on a personal level.

On the other hand, it may have been like this all along and being new I just never knew.

6. Steelersjunkie

Steelersjunkie Road Train Member

May 26, 2016
    I hate when that happens. I was stuck in a traffic jam a little while back, and the same thing happened to me. The truck next to me was creeping very slowly forward, freaked me out. Same reaction too lol. Couldn't for the life of me figure out why my truck was still rolling while I had my foot planted to the floorboard. Nothing like a scare to wake you up :)

Suspect Zero Thanks this.
  7. Suspect Zero

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    Ah yes, not much gets the blood pumping like following the directions to a place (both GPS and Qualcomm) with a 13'6" trailer and coming to a viaduct marked 13'6"

8. crazystalin

crazystalin Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2013
    NC
    Honestly the part that keeps me talking to them is the cameras. Not dealing with a company that can’t trust me to do my job safely. O can deal with outside facing camera but driver facing. No way man.

9. updem

updem Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Gwinn, MI
    Great thread. I'm starting with bulkmatic later this month out of Taylor, MI. Quick question, how does the hotel stay work? Do you just have to find one and let them know? Or do they have a pre-approved list to pick from? Has it been hard finding one you can get the truck and trailer in to? Thanks in advance.

10. wbw6cos

wbw6cos Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Lilburn, GA
    They use Corporate Lodging Corp (CLC) and give the driver a card. It is a network for hotels that participate for lower rates (no free breakfast deals, either.)
    It is up to the driver to do proper planning and figure out when/where it will be needed. There is also an app for the smartphone. Call the hotel and have them confirm still CLC member and available truck parking. Sometimes hotels change owners and the app will not get updated quick enough.

updem Thanks this.
  11. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    I don’t work for Bulkmatic but the CLC card is pretty common card .As wbw posted there is an app but you you need to confirm it seems motels will stop using CLC on occasion.Personally I always call CLC and tell them what city I’m going to stay at and ask them if they will make the reservation and to make sure it’s for truck and trailer parking they will make it and text you confirmation and directions put it sometimes takes them about an hour so you need to know where you want to stop in advance

updem Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.