Bunk A/C- old vs newer.

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by w9l, Apr 27, 2021.

1. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Its entirely possible the bunk had a filter removed previous to me in the 3 kws i had the misfortune to play with ac on, but its never been there and the cab certainly doesnt have one on it (94 t600, 01 w900, 06 t600)

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ridin_rough

ridin_rough Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2021
    The cab filter is under the dash on the driver's side..... the T2000 is under the hood... Volvos, near the windshield outside.... they all are meant to have it, but in many cases its tossed and not replaced. Cheap and should be replaced every 3-6 months under normal average conditions. Hi dust areas (southwest in the spring) should be once a month until the dust storms calm down.

4. skallagrime

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana

Ill give you the benefit of a doubt that you know something about the cab air filter that 3 different techs at kw and i couldn't find on the schematics tracing the whole system, but can i get a picture or at least a part number? (Bear in mind im talking about the 94 and 01, not a newer vehicle)

5. ridin_rough

Apr 26, 2021
    Techs at the dealership...... ha!
    If the laptop doesn't tell them, it doesn't exist!

Let me see what info I can get you... oh and I mentioned undee driver side dash....I ment passenger side.

6. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    So called "AC techs" out in the field are the most poorly/untrained class of technicians out there. Read the service manual for your specific truck on the topic, show it to an AC tech you trust and will read it and use him for all your service. Or better yet, get the training/tools and do it yourself.

7. ridin_rough

Apr 26, 2021
    I have been preaching that for years! Not just ac but EVERYTHING on your truck.

I can't find a clear picture but the fresh air vent on your w900 is behind the right hand air filter can. That's where the filter should be. If it's not then it either never put in and it was removed. As I mentioned before, prior to 1996 filters were not a normal thing so chances are you 94 t600 came with r-12 and no filters or any place for them.

8. skallagrime

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Neither did the w9, its only on fresh air intake

You are referring to image attached. Thats not what im talking about, recirc air filter on a kw in the cab simply isnt a thing until at least after 2006.
    You can buy the whole thing to bolt on the outside for 15 bucks, done that a few times. Ive also replaced the whole rotted out blower/evap/heater core box too. Along with every other part of the ac system hoses, drier, condenser you name it, ive done it.

Laugh all you will at the techs not being able to find something, as i said, i went through every single ac schematic with them 3 times (once each truck) and none of em have an in cab recirculating air filter, and the outside fresh filter was never a standard item on those trucks either, always aftermarket

kw_cab_filter_cab19501__56335.jpg

9. w9l

w9l Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2013
    I bought my 93 used in 96 and knew the old man that bought it new. The first 3 yrs I spent more on having the ac fixed every summer than on any other part of the truck. I finally bought some books on the subject and figured out that with the oem stem valves I could isolate change and evacuate the compressor on install without everpurging the system. So for years I would just go by a New York shaker compressor and swap it out myself. Finally in recent years I found a Paccar bracket and manifold to retrofit with a Sanden. Big improvement...

10. w9l

w9l Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2013

11. w9l

w9l Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Btw, the 14 sleeper has heat, auto and ac switch in bunk. The 93 has a rocker switch ac one way heat the other. The reostat knob works in conjunction with a temp sensor and cycles the fan on and off to maintain the desired setting. Since I don't have an owners manual yet can someone explain how the auto fuction is supposed to work on it?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.